Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this yesterday for brew day, had to work all day so only began right after dinner, all went smooth except I end up with only 5 gallons in the fermenter ( new single tier rig, was first time using) pitched yeast at 11:55pm, so I guess it still count for brew day!

Brewed mine today, ended up with 4 3/4 gallons in the fermenter, guess I need to bump my water volumes up a notch or two. Other wise, looked and, and he sample tasted fine. Was a fun beer to brew, not to complicated, which usually computes to a great tasting beer. Thanks for sharing the recipie!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewed this with WLP028, Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast. Turned out great! Complex and malty with a clean finish. The only problem I have with WLP028 is that it is a poor flocculator, it was three weeks in primary before the krausen fell! Finished beer has poor clarity as a result.

Finally got this kegged and carbed up.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399434953.950860.jpg
Photo doesn't do the color justice. Very tasty.

So I read most of this thread and did not see an extract conversion. Has anyone made this as an extract with grains?

tia
sfish

So I read most of this thread and did not see an extract conversion. Has anyone made this as an extract with grains?

tia
sfish

------------

12.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain

12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain

8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain

7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract

1.00 oz Crystal [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min 6.6 IBUs Hop

1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min 17.5 IBUs Hop

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining
-
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast
-
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar

Ok so batch two in the keg and with the extra total of 1oz of el dorado hops set it off!! The el dorado hops add the right amount of aroma and just a little to the flavor so it's perfect. Can't wait for it to fully clear and carb up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh Madcore man, I just drove through your town today going from Indiana to Georgia.... Should have come by and checked your batch out... Sounds good....

Would of been happy to share a glass. It's still young but good my brew store agrees

Just made this as my second all grain, first one with my Victoria (corona) grain crusher. Smelled great, and came pretty close to hitting my numbers, 1.055 OG. I'm looking forward to this one based on all the comments. I'll post pics in a couple weeks once when I am doing my hydrometer checks, looking forward to getting the same wonderful red I've seen in several other pics.

just pour a pint ( only 48hrs on gas) that's a frikkin tasty brew, still cloudy but will leave it alone for a bit and hope it clear!

Just ordered the ingredients for this red ale. Will post how it comes out. Excited to try a red ale. This will be my third batch from all grain.

Good lookin glass of beer--I need to get more of this recipe in the fridge I had two cans of his ready for St. Patties day and it went fast--

Welp...Took my first shot at all grain today with this recipe as my first BIAB. I think I screwed it up...

I started with 5.75 gallons of water at boil...at the end, i ended up with 2.5 gallons total with an OG reading of 1.07! Immediately I rushed to the store and purchased 3 gallons of water and topped it off with 2.5 gallons.

How badly did i possibly screw this up?

What's the gravity? Assuming you're aiming for a 5 or 5.5g batch, you need to account for boil off. The BIAB calculator and most apps like beersmith calculate this for you. When doing a 5g batch I usually start with something like 7.5g.

Yea, I realized afterwards that I should've started it at 7.5 gallons. After I had added in the water, my reading went to 1.035...

EDIT:

After downloading Beersmith and putting the recipe in there...it says my OG should be right around the 1.035 that I currently have. Hope this means I should be fine.

Welp...Took my first shot at all grain today with this recipe as my first BIAB. I think I screwed it up...

I started with 5.75 gallons of water at boil...at the end, i ended up with 2.5 gallons total with an OG reading of 1.07! Immediately I rushed to the store and purchased 3 gallons of water and topped it off with 2.5 gallons.

How badly did i possibly screw this up?

Yea, I realized afterwards that I should've started it at 7.5 gallons. After I had added in the water, my reading went to 1.035...

EDIT:

After downloading Beersmith and putting the recipe in there...it says my OG should be right around the 1.035 that I currently have. Hope this means I should be fine.

you need to determine the boil off rate for your equipment. then setup you equipment in beersmith. The gravity should be MUCH higher. What efficiency percentage did you use in Beersmith?

When I designed this recipe it was around a 72% efficiency. That would give an OG of 1.053 for me to get 1.035 I would have to get a 44% efficiency.

You are correct. It came up with 44% efficiency. I think I'm going to dump the batch and try again today after work.

Just brewed a 5 gallon batch of this yesterday. Nailed the 1.053 og and pitched rehydrated us-05...hopefully it'll turn out well!

Has anyone tried adding Oak chips to toss recipe? I'm still fairly new to this and have been experimenting by splitting off a small portion of my batch and doing something like adding chocolate or vanilla to it. I was thinking about taking a gallon or 2 and adding some oak chips soaked in alcohol.

Has anyone tried adding Oak chips to toss recipe? ...

I like to age this on medium toast Hungarian oak, it comes out quite tasty!

I soak the oak in a good Irish whiskey for a couple days to sanitize. My supplier didn't have this variety in chips or cubes, it comes as a stick. One in a five gallon batch for a month or two gave a nice but subtle enhancement.

Just took my first post-fermentation hydro reading, my hydro sample was much more orange than the deep red I see in these pictures. OG was 1.055, FG (assuming it's done, which I need to confirm in a couple days) is 1.004. I did use Crystal 120 instead of Caraaroma, and Carapils in place of the Carafoam, both substitutions were mentioned earlier in this thread. Also used US-05 but I wouldn't think that would affect the color. Also seems like the FG is much lower than I expected. Don't think this will turn out competition worthy but should still taste good I think (though truthfully I don't have a lot of experience with figuring out final taste based on early samples, still pretty new to brewing), but do the Caraaroma and Carafoam make that much difference in the color as opposed to the Crystal and Carapils? Or is the color due to some other process issue? Crush? Efficiency?

Brewed this for the second time. Gotta love this recipe - many thanks for sharing (my friends and family say thanks as well)!

Just took my first post-fermentation hydro reading, my hydro sample was much more orange than the deep red I see in these pictures. OG was 1.055, FG (assuming it's done, which I need to confirm in a couple days) is 1.004. I did use Crystal 120 instead of Caraaroma, and Carapils in place of the Carafoam, both substitutions were mentioned earlier in this thread. Also used US-05 but I wouldn't think that would affect the color. Also seems like the FG is much lower than I expected. Don't think this will turn out competition worthy but should still taste good I think (though truthfully I don't have a lot of experience with figuring out final taste based on early samples, still pretty new to brewing), but do the Caraaroma and Carafoam make that much difference in the color as opposed to the Crystal and Carapils? Or is the color due to some other process issue? Crush? Efficiency?

the difference would be the crystal 120 instead of caraaroma.. carafoam and carapils are the same thing.

Hi new brewer here and I was wondering if nottingham would give a similar result as I have no stir plate to make a starter? Want to make this my 4th batch !!

thanks.

Jamie.

Hi new brewer here and I was wondering if nottingham would give a similar result as I have no stir plate to make a starter? Want to make this my 4th batch !!

thanks.

Jamie.

US-05 works great for this.. notty will work too but might leave it a little sweeter. If you already have the notty on hand use it. The beer will still turn out great. if you have purchased the yeast yeast, US-05

made my third batch and somehow i keep forgetting the honey!! lol.. either way batch 1 and 2 turned out great. split 10 gallons and this time i decided to use 05 and 04.

made my third batch and somehow i keep forgetting the honey!! lol.. either way batch 1 and 2 turned out great. split 10 gallons and this time i decided to use 05 and 04.

since the honey is really there just to boost the abv a little, leaving it, out as you have seen, still makes a damn good beer

Back