Anyone ever make a chocolate milk stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I just thought of this and never tried a chocolate milk stout. Has anyone tried a beer like this or even made one?? If so can someone point me in the right direction??

I'm definitely planning this. I'll be taking a well respected milk stout recipe and adding a couple oz of cocoa powder to the last 5 min of the boil, and then doing ~1 week secondary on cocoa nibs (not sure about the quantity yet, I haven't done enough research to get a general idea).

yep.. I just got one finished conditioning... I wound up with higher efficiency in my mash than expected so I have an 8% ABV Chocolate Milk Stout...

The advice I would give is to be moderate on the amount of lactose used. I used a whole pound and it came out a little on the sweet side.. perfect for a dessert beer though. I used 8 oz coca powder in the last 10 mins of boil and then 2 oz chocolate extract at bottling time.

Made one almost two years ago, and the few bottles I have left keep getting better with age. I used 1 pound of lactose and 8 oz of cocoa powder. Ending up at 7% ABV, it was a little bitter at first with the cocoa powder, but a lot of that mellows with age. Have one with some german chocolate cake, it will bring out the chocolate flavor in the beer, and make the cake seem more sweet

I made a chocolate cherry milk stout last year. 1 lb lactose was about right, it was close to 6% alc. I used 4 oz chocolate extract and 4 oz cherry extract at bottling. The chocolate came through well, the cherry was barely detectable. Also only used chocolate malt for dark grains, didn't want the extra bitterness roasted barley and black malt tend to have over chocolate malt.

Yes, mine is in the fermentor right now. I am REALLY glad I only brew this stuff 1 time a year and that is in Dec!. I made a 12 gallon batch with 1 lbs of lactose, 16 oz of hersey's cocoa powder and 8 oz of the hersey's special dark. I added all these @ 15 min in the boil.

This stuff is a HUGE mess to clean up. My carboys are 1/5 or more full of "sediment" and the samples I have taken have very small amounts of chocolate flavor. I plan on adding 2 OZ of home made vanilla extract and 1 bottle of brewers best chocolate extract.

Since this will not complete the brew, I will be cold brewing a coffee blend in water joe to make: 7% Baltic caramel chocolate coffee breakfast porter in both regular and decaf.

I wish you the best of luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Just made one and it is great if you want my recipe I can post it when I get home from work. The one ingredient I did use that made it oh so good was chocolate wheat malt. Made such a difference.

Not sure if Terrapin is available in your area, but they recently released a beer called MooHoo. It was a DELICIOUS Chocolate Milk stout. Might be good for research. :mug:

I think a good milk stout with chocolate additions as discussed would be a great idea. Definitely on my to do list!

Yep... I made one with Oatmeal, Lactose, bit of Chocolate.. A nice Breakfast Stout.. However, I lost 1/5 of my batch becuase all this stuff turned to pudding at the bottom. But, the rest was FANTASTIC!

I just finshed making one and popped the bottle today. It came out around to 6% (High mash efficiency, but still trying to figure out my evaporation rate). I even added a few chilis and some fruit to bottles during bottling.

Definitely a great beer. There is a LH Milk Stout Clone recipe on the web you can grab. I did that and then tweaked it to how I wanted it to taste.

This is for a partial mash
Date: 11/20/10

Size: 5.09 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 214.89 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.064 (1.044 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.012 - 1.024)
Color: 25.76 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 6.35% (4.0% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 39.0 (20.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
4.5 lb English 2-row Pale
.75 lb Chocolate Wheat Malt
.5 lb Caramunich® TYPE I
.25 lb Roasted Barley
3.0 lb Dry Extra Light
1.0 lb Lactose
1.0 oz Challenger (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Whitbread Golding (WGV) (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
4.0 fl oz (Imp) Chocolate (Extract) - added to keg

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 66.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.12

That recipe looks really good! I'm gonna buy the ingredients and brew this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Can I add the cocolate to secondary?!!

My next batch will be a chocolate oatmeal stout from AHS.

I'm really looking forward to it, as it will be my first stout.

That recipe looks really good! I'm gonna buy the ingredients and brew this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Can I add the cocolate to secondary?!!

It's better at packaging time then the secondary. The chocolate seems to dissapate in the secondary unless you put it in a day or two before packaging.

I'm prolly not going to secondary...Maybe I can put it in two days in primary right before bottling?

Also I am having trouble finding english two row for some reason... any alternative?

Not sure if Terrapin is available in your area, but they recently released a beer called MooHoo. It was a DELICIOUS Chocolate Milk stout. Might be good for research. :mug:

I think a good milk stout with chocolate additions as discussed would be a great idea. Definitely on my to do list!

Very good stuff! Had some the other night. I still need to get to Terrapin for a tour, sounds a lot cooler than the sweetwater one.

I'm prolly not going to secondary...Maybe I can put it in two days in primary right before bottling?

Also I am having trouble finding english two row for some reason... any alternative?

If any English pale malt is not available including Marris Otter than you could use domestic 2 row. Not sure how it would affect it though. With all the darker grains it should not. If you put it in the primary it may kick off fermentation again as extracts do contain a small amount of sugars.

I've got a chocolate stout in the secondary now, that I brewed a couple weeks ago. I used 6 oz of lactose and about 3 oz of Nestle baking cocoa, cause that's what I had on hand on brew day. Most recipes I've seen seem to have around a 2:1 ratio of lactose to cocoa powder to balance the bitterness of the cocoa.
I added mine with about 10 minutes left in the boil. I sampled it when racking to secondary and the chocolate flavor is subtle, but it's there (that's what I was shooting for - I didn't want it too chocolaty). Some recipes go up to 16 oz of lactose/ 8 oz of cocoa which sounds good too - just a bit sweeter than what I brewed.
Since mine is around 8% I'm going to leave in the secondary for a month or so before bottling it - I can't wait until it's ready :rockin:

Can you add the lactose to the secondary? I was planning to brew a sweet stout this weekend but when I went to pick up some lactose, my LHBS was all out. I thought I'd boil it up like a priming solution and add it to the secondary. Since it's not fermentable I didn't think this would be an issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Can you add the lactose to the secondary? I was planning to brew a sweet stout this weekend but when I went to pick up some lactose, my LHBS was all out. I thought I'd boil it up like a priming solution and add it to the secondary. Since it's not fermentable I didn't think this would be an issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

That should work just fine, lactose is used to backsweeten all sorts of things. As far as I know you could add it at any point and not notice a difference.

Edit:
Anyone make the NB Chocolate Milk Stout Extract kit mentioned above? If so, how did it turn out and what did you tweak in the recipe if anything? Thanks.

Well, I will update mine a bit. I got about 10 gallons of beer, the rest was sludge. I mixed a small amount of peppermint schnapps 3-4 oz and a tsp of peppermint extract into 7 gallons. I also added 3 oz of the Brewer's best chocolate extract. This stuff tastes like a Andy's candy peppermint chocolate. I went a little stronger on the mint to taste as it is getting bottled this week and then aged until x-mas time. Did I mention this one was 10% ABV or better...It is, without a doubt a "one of/dessert beer" but it is excellent.

I also have 3 gallons of the non-pepperminted beer that is also getting carbed, I have not sampled it yet but I am sure it will be great.

IMO I would add a lot less cocoa powder into the boil and use chocolate baking nibs instead. I then would secondary onto some cocoa powder and finish it off with some of the chocolate extract.

Back