NOOB - First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CT-Mike

Reaction score
So I picked up the Brewer's Best kit, and their English Brown Ale kit. I have read the 20 page stone cold lead pipe thread and John Palmers book on how to brew.

My favorite beer is Dundee's Honey Brown and I am thinking about adding some honey to the brown ale to try and replicate it. I know that for the first batch I should just stick to the recipe, but I would like to give it a try.

So with that in mind, how much honey should I add, and when would it get added?

Seems likes a great forum,

Mike

Welcome to HBT and the obsession. If you are going to add honey you should add it at the end of the boil. If it were me I wouldnt add more than two lbs of honey. For me two lbs seems to be just the right amount.

Welcome. I agree; don't add any more than 2 pounds of honey. That's the good thing about homebrewing - you can experiment.

I wonder if the addition of 2 Lbs of honey will require a longer bottle aging at the end. Cysers and Meads require a lot of time due to the hot alcohol taste.
Is this the case or not so much with beers with adjuncts?

I would stick with the recipe for a first try. You don't have to do everything on your first batch: you'll brew plenty more of beer in the future. Don't complicate things further mores by adding variables that may or may not taste good.

Back