Any reason I can't use this for a go at AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbowler

Reaction score
thinking of the link where the guy uses the cooler for the mash (tun?)
DSC03903.jpg

it's big, plenty big, like 25 gallons.

DSC03900.jpg

got a drain in the bottom, and it's fully insulated.
DSC03901.jpg

DSC03902.jpg

I assume that the styrofoam would hold up to 150F-170F water.

any thoughts?

as long as it holds a seal I dont see why ya couldnt, but I would plan on replacing it fairly often due to dmg in the process. AS for the cleaning part I usually just hose my cooler out whenI am done and wipe it down with a sponge. I dont think it will leach checmicals, I men heck there are billions of coffee cups made of the same stuff at Mc Donalds.

Pumbaa said:
as long as it holds a seal I dont see why ya couldnt, but I would plan on replacing it fairly often due to dmg in the process. AS for the cleaning part I usually just hose my cooler out whenI am done and wipe it down with a sponge. I dont think it will leach checmicals, I men heck there are billions of coffee cups made of the same stuff at Mc Donalds.

And everytime I drink hot coffee from them I taste the styrofoam.

It may not make a taste diference to your brew, but I can see it doing just that.;)

Waldo said:
48qt cooler from Wally-World cost $15 why would you use anything else :confused:

yeah, I hear ya.

are they really $15?

alright guys, it was worth a thought though

Too bad it isn't deeper, it would make a great lagering cabinet. Maybe you can find something really squat?

It's my wife's anyway, I probably would have asked her before using it.

probably...

How about having a separate mash tun and placing it into your cooler? It might help you maintain temp. A lagering cooler is also a good idea.
That thing has got home brewing written all over it! :mug:

pbowler said:
yeah, I hear ya.

are they really $15?

alright guys, it was worth a thought though

Especially this time of year. Just got an Ice Cube at Walmart for $21. 60 quarts..... you can't beat it really....

Yeah I wouldn't mash in the styrofoam either for fear of leaching the flavor. Go for the $15 San Walton spherical bug-juice cooler.
That cooler is PIMP though. Keep it for cans and bottles. Mashing in it would discolor the styrofoam as well.

Got a 5 gallon Igloo from K-mart for $26.

so that ends that, thanks for the input, wouls not have gone over real well either...

That would be a real pain in the butt to clean out. Do yourself a favor and build one of these:

mashtun.jpg

mashtun2.jpg

Easy to clean, and dump grain! Holds temp well

Back