Propane Tank Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadbill

Reaction score
Hi All;

So we had some family over the other night who were nice enough to help out with the cooking, which entailed steaming some corn-on-the-cob using my propane burner (the one I use to boil wort with, in case you were wondering why I am posting this on HBT :D).

What I didn't realize was that when they shut off the burner, they really cranked on and over-tightened the valve on the propane tank. When I tried to open the valve the next day I could not budge it. I ended up putting a pair of channel-lock pliers on the valve for some extra leverage and cracked the aluminum knob on the valve. It was able to turn the knob a little bit with the pliers before it broken, and it felt stripped out. ???

Any ideas for loosening the valve so I can use drain the propane tank? (I just had the tank filled)

Is the propane tank and/or valve still any good? Can I buy a replacement knob for the valve?

Ironically, the lady to refilled my propane tanks warned me about over-tightening the valve on the tank and I though she was full of it since I had never heard of that before. Guess I was wrong...

Thanks!

23473921.jpg

Does not approve of this abuse of clean, efficient propane.

Seriously, I would take it back to a filling station and see if they can replace the valve safely. I would be concerned about releasing all of the contents of the tank if you tried anything else.

I agree with exchanging it. Yeah you will only get 15pounds of propane and you will loose the propane you have in that tank but I would think it would be rather expensive to fix the tank itself.

Back