Hop Hell IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
16 days@ 68 degrees F
Tasting Notes
Citrusy, Pungent, Fresh Hop flavor from the randall, a little caramel flavor.
This has been one of the top favorites among my friends. It could be because this is the only one I brought an entire keg of to a party. I brewed this along with a friend for his birthday. We ran the finished beer through my homemade Randall the Enamel Animal. Wow!

Grain Bill:

13 lbs. - 2-row
1 lb. - Crysal 40L
.5 lbs. - Vienna
.5 lbs. - White Wheat

Hops:

1oz. Columbus (14.2%) - 60min.
1oz. Chinook (11.4%) - 30min.
2oz. Centennial (9.1%) - 15min.
1oz. Cascade (7.4%) - 1min.

2oz. Cascade (6%) - Dry Hopped for 5 days after primary was complete
3oz. Centennial (9,1%) - Randall the Enamel Animal

Grains were mashed at 152 for 1 hour. Sparged with 169 degree water. Boiled for 90 minutes. Cooled wort in ice bath to 70 degrees. Pitched yeast at 68 degrees. Fermented for 11 days at 68 degrees. Dry hopped for 5 additional days.

hophell.jpg

So were you able to go from 1.067 to 1.005 mashing at 152? That is a huge 92.5% attenuation?

I went from 1.060 to 1.008 with 100% vienna malt mashed at 152* and pitched onto a US-05 yeast cake.

Yes, I was also suprised by the attenuation. I've always loved the wyeast 1056 yeast. It's a very aggressive yeast that always seems to get the job done. That's why I didn't feel the need to do a starter as I do with most other yeasts.

My Beertools program calculated my final gravity out to around 1.011, so I was a little concerned when it hadn't stopped fermenting after about 9 days. Couple days later it hit 1.005.

My only problem with this batch was that my efficiency was horrible. It came out around 60% I believe. I'm not quite sure why it was so low, but I'm using a new all grain system so I'm still trying to figure out the bugs. Also, I used the mill at my LHBS to crush (which is what I think caused it) because mine was out of commission.

Yes, I was also suprised by the attenuation. I've always loved the wyeast 1056 yeast. It's a very aggressive yeast that always seems to get the job done. That's why I didn't feel the need to do a starter as I do with most other yeasts.

My Beertools program calculated my final gravity out to around 1.011, so I was a little concerned when it hadn't stopped fermenting after about 9 days. Couple days later it hit 1.005.

My only problem with this batch was that my efficiency was horrible. It came out around 60% I believe. I'm not quite sure why it was so low, but I'm using a new all grain system so I'm still trying to figure out the bugs. Also, I used the mill at my LHBS to crush (which is what I think caused it) because mine was out of commission.

Efficiency is a whole arena in itself, my guess is that if you are just starting out with all grain and you suspect it is one thing, it is probably more likely a combination of about 4 things. The crush is important but there are LHBS that crush nicely, but most don't from what I know. Hitting your temps is very important too and that includes your mashout temp and make sure to stir like a madman when you mash in to make sure everything is getting soaked. Sparge slowly.... the list goes on and on but you have probably heard all of this. I have my primitive system dialed in and always get between 82 and 85% efficiency and am happy with that, but I do my own crushing and keep consistent with my procedures.

I'm not new at all grain, just my system is. I went from using the Gott 10 gallon cooler as a Mash Tun, but have since upgraded to sanke kegs for the sparge, mash, and boil. I'm still tweaking things a bit. And my LHBS is definately one that isn't good at crushing.

Back