• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for a grain mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to start AG brewing and I need a mill that is bigger than the one you have. Something like a monster mill or maybe a barley crusher. Thank you anyway.

I am going to start AG brewing and I need a mill that is bigger than the one you have. Something like a monster mill or maybe a barley crusher. Thank you anyway.

Jase: a Barley Crusher may be a better quality mill, but don't worry about the size of the mill. The size of the mill itself won't limit you; the 'capacity' is based on the hopper size used to feed grain into the mill and the box/bucket/bag that collects your crushed grain.

A corona mill, a BC, or monster mill can each easily handle the grain bill for a standard 5 or 10 gallon AG batch in just a few minutes. The biggest difference between these mills is the consistency (or perceived consistency) of the crush. FWIW, I use a corona mill in a bucket (based on wilserbrewer's Ugly Junk build) with great consistency.

So a corona mill would not be a bad buy then. Is it easy to use. Sorry for the stupid question, I am new to all-grain.

So a corona mill would not be a bad buy then. Is it easy to use. Sorry for the stupid question, I am new to all-grain.

Not a stupid question at all; everything about brewing is a learning process and part of the reason it's so darn fun! HBT is a goldmine for information, search the forums for threads on grain mills and pictures of crushed grain, you'll find expert advice, tutorials, and some pros & cons on the different types of mills.

A corona mill may require some TLC and fine-tuning, but no mill is going to be "auto-pilot flawless". Before you run a full grain bill through, do some practice runs with some surplus grain and get your crush consistent....and happy brewing:mug:

Have a basic Crankenstein that uses a drill to power. Home made housing on it that you cut the bottom off a water jug and flip it into to. Not sure what they are worth used though and it is in Canada.

Sent you a PM Jase, the Crankenstein is a popular one and you can have this simply for upgrading me to a premium supporter for a year and actual shipping charges. Can have it with or without the stand since I am not paying shipping!

Let me know if you pass, I think it's a good offer and will pass along to someone else if not interested.

Back