Something else the Purity Laws did for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Origin of lager yeast

It turns out that both probably owe their origins to laws in 16th-century Bavaria that banned brewing in the summer because scorching heat ruined the ale that was brewed before the emergence of lager.

Forced to produce their beer in the winter, brewers accidentally created conditions favouring the emergence of a hybrid yeast better suited to the cold.

As I sip my Saison brewed with a cane sugar and a bit of coriander & black pepper, fermented at 82 degrees, and take a long deep sniff of its aromatic complexities as swirls in my glass, I think "To hell with the Reinheitsgebot and the German affection of following the rules, give me Belgians in all their un-pure, rowdy gloriousness!"

That was an interesting, albeit brief, article. I didn't realize there were two families of lager yeast. I haven't ever lagered yet, but now I have something to think about for when I do; whether to use yeasts from the Saaz family or the Frohberg.

Back