Wine and dried fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13astrand

Reaction score
Hi folks, currently I am fermenting 5G rice and sultana and 5G of Carrot Whiskey and I have 1G of mead, 3G of Lemon and Sultana, 5G of tea and Sultana, 6G of pink grapefruit and raisin resting in Demi johns. What I wanted to ask was are dried fruits e.g elderberries, cranberries etc. successful to the flavour of the overall wine? I haven't used any yet and I am tempted to try some of my own recipes after a few years of making wine. Also what are wines like made with just dried fruit compared with the actual fruit themselves? Thanks in advance to all who reply. P.S. if anyone has a recommended dried fruit recipe I'd be grateful if you could let me have it. Thanks

Dried elderberries make an excellent wine, one of the best, and an even better melomel. There are a few recipes on our webpage in my sig below. WVMJ

If you use dried fruit check the label for added oils. You want to avoid those. In the US, dried cranberries are found with and without oil. I know Jack Keller's website has several dried fruit wines, and I know his dried apricot wine is a favorite to make.

WVMJ said:
Dried elderberries make an excellent wine, one of the best, and an even better melomel. There are a few recipes on our webpage in my sig below. WVMJ

I really like the sound of some Melomel. What is the link you suggested? Thanks ever so much. Adam

Hi folks. Thanks ever so much for the advice. Lots of people rave about Elderberry wine including my father so ill definitely be making some this year. I also intend to use the 250g of dried elderberries to making some Melomel. I didn't know about the oils and will be aware of this when purchasing. Thanks again. Adam

I don't use too many dried fruits, but the ones I"ve used have been great!

Watch out for excess sulfites and other preservatives, but otherwise no worries. It'd be ideal if you dried your own fruit, so it would be fully ripe and preservative free. Purchasing good quality dried fruit is a reasonable alternative.

Would you still want to pre soak them in Camden tabs? They would be rehydrated fruit then, no?

You are probably pretty safe rehydrating them in warm water overnight and then after you make up your must sulfiting everything before you pitch the yeast. If you were super worried then just 1 tablet in a gallon of water to use to soak your dried fruit. WVMJ

Would you still want to pre soak them in Camden tabs? They would be rehydrated fruit then, no?

Most dried fruit already had a healthy dose of sodium metabisulfite to preserve color...so the campden soak has been done for you.

Okay - so I've got unlimited access to peaches & apricots.

I could certainly dry them and then later rehydrate them and make a wine. What are the pros/cons to said process rather than just making the wine to begin with from fresh fruit? I can see dehydration as a storage technique - but so is wine-in-the-bottle. Confused - thanks for the help.

Back