Blackberry/Cranberry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac123

Reaction score
I wanted to make a blackberry mead, but decided last minute to add cranberries--my recipe is below. My wife made cranberry sauce with the leftover cranberries which is wonderful, so I have an odd question. Since I already planned to add more fruit at secondary, I'm thinking of adding a couple tablespoons of the cranberry sauce along with more blackberries. Any experiences out there that would caution how I proceed? It's been going strong since Dec. 29.

--
1 pk. D-47 yeast
20 raisins
3 small oranges peeled, split, and crushed
1/2 tsp. Yeast nutrient
4 pounds honey
1 gallon of pure water
1 cup fresh, rinsed Blackberries
1/2 cup rinsed, split Cranberries
1 whole clove
1 pinch allspice
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch pectic enzyme

Heat must over 140 (should have been 160...) for 20 min: honey, water, cranberries, oranges, and crushed blackberries. Put nutrient, raisins, nutmeg, allspice, and clove in carboy, add must. Pitch yeast and mix well.

People make wine/mead from cranberry sauce all the time. Just add some enzyme to it at least 24 hours before you plan to use it, so it can start breaking down those pectin bonds. Assuming the cranberry sauce is quite basic in nature, that is the best type to use--berries and sugar.

Latest posts

Back