First AG brewday...DONE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogzbone

Reaction score
My first AG brewday is in the can! It went smoothly and was crazy easy! Should've done this from batch #1! Not being one to be too wasteful I went and found a bread recipe using spent grains and it's in the oven as I type! I love this hobby! :mug:

certaut said:
I always make spent grain bread after brew day
I make 4 loafs, keep one and give the rest to my neighbors

You should share the recipe... ;) is it a soda bread, or yeasted? You must use flour as well right? Isn't it a little toothy with the hulls in there?

There's a thread in here with a recipe for making dog treats. I make these from time to time and my dog goes ape poopy for them. Most of the time my spent grains go in the compost pile.

You should share the recipe... ;) is it a soda bread, or yeasted? You must use flour as well right? Isn't it a little toothy with the hulls in there?

Here is the recipe. Found it on another forum site.

3 cups of spent grain (wet)
1.5 cups warm (~100 F) water
1 package (1 tablespoon) dry BAKERS yeast
1/3 cup sugar (I prefer brown)
3-5 cups flour
Dash of salt (optional)

Proof yeast in mixture of water and sugar (make a starter). You should see krausen in less than an hour.
Put spent grain in large mixer bowl. Mix in starter, and start adding flour. Keep adding flour until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Place dough in a large bowl, cover with a clean towel, and let rise until doubled. Punch down dough, and either:
A) Split into two loaves and place in greased bread pans
B) Form into a round loaf and place on cookie sheet with a thin layer of corn meal under the loaf.
Allow loaf(ves) to double in size, bake in 375 F oven 30 to 40 minutes until browned and a long pin, such as a turkey pin, comes out clean after being inserted into the center of the loaf.

This was my first "glitch" of the brewday. I ran out of flour and tried to improvise by using oatmeal "flour". The bread was tasty but incredibly dense and actually never finished baking. Apparently I'm a better brewer and a cook than a baker. I think in the future I'll stick to what I know! :D

Back