Delaware HBTers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman

Reaction score
Okay, first of all, we have an HBT group out there, so join it!

Second, it's time for us to crawl out of the woodwork and get together face-to-face. I don't care if it's a brewday, or just hanging out at a pub for the night. Stewarts has been suggested for hanging out, and that sounds good enough to me.

Who else is in?

Sure, that's great for all you northern Delaware luckies! I'm stuck way down here in slower lower, or is it lower slower? Whatever. Some day I'd like to move north and back to civilization. Maybe I can "get up" with you guys.:D

Absolutely!

If we have to find a median point to meet, that's fine. I't not like Delaware is bigger than a football field lol

Slower Delaware known for the beaches, DFH and the Canton Inn

Ive always refered to it a slower lower but I may have been wrong all this time :D

I keep seeing these oval white "LSD" stickers on the backs of people's cars. I think it stands for "Lower Slower DE". Either that or they're on drugs. Maybe both.:cross:

I keep seeing these oval white "LSD" stickers on the backs of people's cars. I think it stands for "Lower Slower DE". Either that or they're on drugs. Maybe both.:cross:

I have give up trying figure out what those damn stickers mean once I saw one for havre de grace. Its a town in MD with a population of maybe 5000. But i really doubt its even that high

Absolutely!

If we have to find a median point to meet, that's fine. I't not like Delaware is bigger than a football field lol

Back in the day there was a "classy" :D strip club in Smyrna. If its still there, that might just work for you.

If my plans go...as planned, I may be joining the ranks of the Delabrewers soon.

If we have people who want to gether from all over the state (and outlying areas for MD, PA, NJ folks), then the best bet would be to find a median point. DFH is pretty far for us Newarkites, and Stewarts is far for the southerners, which makes for dangerous driving after a night of drinking :)

What's good in the middle of the state?

What's the plan?... looking for low property taxes and no sales tax?;)

A lot of people are moving in to this state from surrounding states.

After I get my degree, I plan on trying to get a job with our corporate headquarters, which is in Wilmington. SWMBO is from Northern Jersey and a two hour trip to see her dad will be incredibly less stressful than the six hour (minimum) trip we currently have.

I was stationed in DE for four years, so I'm somewhat familiar...

They're doing a lot of building in Townsend/Middletown areas--there has to be something decent there, right?

Yea, but it is VERY overpriced. Hell everything outside of the ghetto in DE is overpriced. Atleast the northen part of the state has become WAAAY to overpopulated.

Yea, but it is VERY overpriced. Hell everything outside of the ghetto in DE is overpriced. Atleast the northen part of the state has become WAAAY to overpopulated.

Overpriced relative to what? The Ryan homes my wife has been watching seem comparable in price to what they're building here in Richmond (if not a little cheaper).

What's a good area to be looking in, if you were to be working in Wilmington (please don't say Hockessin).

Overpriced relative to what? The Ryan homes my wife has been watching seem comparable in price to what they're building here in Richmond (if not a little cheaper).

What's a good area to be looking in, if you were to be working in Wilmington (please don't say Hockessin).

I like the Greenville area... very New England-y. Even a little England-y in some places. I'm sure you know... buying a Ryan home is like eating at a 24-hour diner. You might get the sh!ts and you might not.

If you need a good home inspector, let me know. I know an excellent one in northern DE.

HA! Greenville is the MOST expensive area in delaware. Its actually where Joe Bidens house is. I cant even afford to drive through greenville. It is VERY nice, if you have 750k to drop on a townhouse.

But seriously what part of wilmington will you be working in?

I think I've jacked this thread enough, my "company" has numerous plants in and around the Wilmington area, including South Jersey. Right now I can't fathom which plant I would be employed, but with the prices of houses near Wilmington, the wife has been looking at houses closer to Townsend/Middletown.

Hola bitcholas! What's kickin chickens? What's shakin bacon?

How yall are? I'm suprised Dave hasn't stopped in this thread yet. He's just over the line in Fairhills.

Names Rob, been a lifelong DE resident, but don't hold that against me. I used to love this state, but I've been dreaming of moving to Pulaski NY the last couple years and opening up a worm store on the Salmon River where I can fly fish to my hearts content and build myself a garage for a little 20 gallon brewery.

I think I can hold out for a while now that sh*tbird Minner is no longer the Gov.

Been brewing since around '92. I used to go to the Wine Hobby place in Stanton. Guy could have had a goldmine. Anyway got into kegging in the last couple years and All Grain finally.

Looking to move here? Try the Newark area. Not out rt40 way cause that's just too congested. Try more towards the rt4/273/Kirkwood hwy area. House prices are decent, population is ...meh.. You couldn't pay me to go to Townsend or Middletown.

If anyone is interested, come on out to the Delaware Saengerbund on Salem Church Rd. You know, the place where we have the Oktoberfest. I'm the 1st VP and pretty much run the bar. There's a couple guys who brew and you're welcome to stop in have have a good german beer.

I always assumed the Saengerbund was members-only except for Oktoberfest. I'll definitely drop by sometime, just let me know when you'll be there :)

It is a members bar, however we have plenty of open spots and you can come in as my guest. I'm there alot... :( I mean alot. LOL I have to do the registers, ordering etc..

I'll pm you the info. We allow smokin in the bar so if that's an issue for you LMK.

LMK = Let me know.

I just sponsored cigar night this past Sat. The dork on the floor with his arm on the table is me.

DSC00792.jpg

Cool!

Well, I'm off on Thurs, Fri, and Sat. I can either catch you there, or (going back to the original point of the thread) a bunch of us can get together somewhere else if you're only allowed one guest.

Well,

I'm there Thurs Nights 7 - about 10-ish, Fridays from about 6 to 11-ish, and Sat depends.

We're allowed more than one guest at a time. :D Stewarts would probably be more in line with Home Brew being they ARE a brewery. However, they can't touch our prices...

Can you say Dogfish Head/Victory/Penn at $3 per 1/2 liter? LOL!

I'm up for Stewarts too cause I don't get there often enough. It IS my fav upper DE brewpub. Iron Hill doesn't do it for me.

HA! Greenville is the MOST expensive area in delaware.

Yeah, you're right. One can only dream.

I just sponsored cigar night this past Sat. The dork on the floor with his arm on the table is me.

Man... homebrewers, Oktoberfest, cigar guys... I gotta move north! My company has a small office in the Wilmington area and I keep trying to get my boss to move me up there. But we have a nice house on a wooded lot that I helped build down here that would be hard for me to give up. In this economy however, one never knows what could happen.

...Minner ...

a.k.a the Warthog ;)

Many years ago I had my wedding reception at the Saengerbund, and I’ve often stumbled home from the Octoberfest, and more recently our company picnic was held there, but I haven’t been in the bar in many … many years. I do remember the cow bell.

Man... homebrewers, Oktoberfest, cigar guys... I gotta move north! My company has a small office in the Wilmington area and I keep trying to get my boss to move me up there. But we have a nice house on a wooded lot that I helped build down here that would be hard for me to give up. In this economy however, one never knows what could happen.

You should! We also have electricity and running water up here. But, if someone up here smiles at you and you see flat white things poking out of their gums, don't be afraid; those are teeth, and we all have them up here :D

/me never misses a chance to take a shot at Slower Lower :mug:

/me never misses a chance to take a shot at Slower Lower :mug:

Hey, shoot away. No offence taken.:) I take shots at Slower Lower myself. I'm not even from here. I'm "one d'em for'ners". I moved here after living in the UK for a short time, but I'm originally from Pennsylvania.

Hola bitcholas! What's kickin chickens? What's shakin bacon?

How yall are? I'm suprised Dave hasn't stopped in this thread yet. He's just over the line in Fairhills.

Names Rob, been a lifelong DE resident, but don't hold that against me. I used to love this state, but I've been dreaming of moving to Pulaski NY the last couple years and opening up a worm store on the Salmon River where I can fly fish to my hearts content and build myself a garage for a little 20 gallon brewery.

I think I can hold out for a while now that sh*tbird Minner is no longer the Gov.

Been brewing since around '92. I used to go to the Wine Hobby place in Stanton. Guy could have had a goldmine. Anyway got into kegging in the last couple years and All Grain finally.

Looking to move here? Try the Newark area. Not out rt40 way cause that's just too congested. Try more towards the rt4/273/Kirkwood hwy area. House prices are decent, population is ...meh.. You couldn't pay me to go to Townsend or Middletown.

If anyone is interested, come on out to the Delaware Saengerbund on Salem Church Rd. You know, the place where we have the Oktoberfest. I'm the 1st VP and pretty much run the bar. There's a couple guys who brew and you're welcome to stop in have have a good german beer.

I actually work about a mile from there. I may have to stop in some time.

Well,

Can you say Dogfish Head/Victory/Penn at $3 per 1/2 liter? LOL!

I'm up for Stewarts too cause I don't get there often enough. It IS my fav upper DE brewpub. Iron Hill doesn't do it for me.

Ok, I will definatly be there sometime. And I am so happy that atleast a couple people agree with me about Iron Hill. I will go to the one in wilmington for the AHA rally and that is it.

Hey, shoot away. No offence taken.:) I take shots at Slower Lower myself. I'm not even from here. I'm "one d'em for'ners". I moved here after living in the UK for a short time, but I'm originally from Pennsylvania.

How the F did you end up there? All though I do wish I had some land instead of being conected to my damn neighbors.

How the F did you end up there? All though I do wish I had some land instead of being conected to my damn neighbors.

Well, when my wife and I decided we wanted to move back to the States, I put the word out. I had a friend who lived down here and he hooked me up with the company he worked for. The owner of the company relied on his word and didn't even want an interview (a rich, but not very wise business man). So when I was offered the job and most of my moving expenses paid for, I took it. It's not easy to move from one country to another, so it was a 'now or never' kind of thing.

I don't regret moving back, but aside from our home/land, we're not real happy with the area down here. There's just no infrastructure... not much to do besides the beach and that gets old quick. I miss the UK sometimes, but living there is a lot different than visiting there... at least that's my American perspective. I'd consider moving back if money wasn't an issue. Every time I visit northern DE, I say I want to move up there. It just seems more... me.

I can't complain about N. DE, but it doesn't hold a candle to S. Jersey. Nice houses, biug yards, great schools, and forest as far as the eye can see :)

I can't complain about N. DE, but it doesn't hold a candle to S. Jersey. Nice houses, biug yards, great schools, and forest as far as the eye can see :)

Don't forget about the property taxes that pay for all those nice schools.;)

I pay ~$1500/year on a 3/4 acre lot in a pretty nice development.

Don't forget about the property taxes that pay for all those nice schools.;)

I pay ~$1500/year on a 3/4 acre lot in a pretty nice development.

Well, prop taxes in my home town are a little more than double that for 1.5 acres, however you don't ever have to be faced with the choice of paying for a private school or for your child's inevitable bail/funeral.

I could easily live my life never entering jersey again :D. Its funny I live the same distance from PA, MD, and NJ and go to PA and MD usually atleast once a week and Jersey like once every 4 years!

Well, when my wife and I decided we wanted to move back to the States, I put the word out. I had a friend who lived down here and he hooked me up with the company he worked for. The owner of the company relied on his word and didn't even want an interview (a rich, but not very wise business man). So when I was offered the job and most of my moving expenses paid for, I took it. It's not easy to move from one country to another, so it was a 'now or never' kind of thing.

I don't regret moving back, but aside from our home/land, we're not real happy with the area down here. There's just no infrastructure... not much to do besides the beach and that gets old quick. I miss the UK sometimes, but living there is a lot different than visiting there... at least that's my American perspective. I'd consider moving back if money wasn't an issue. Every time I visit northern DE, I say I want to move up there. It just seems more... me.

Honestly, there really isnt much to do up here either. Tons of shopping if thats your thing but its not mine. Things might be a bit of a drive for you but they probably take us just as long because of the damn traffic. Then again I live in one of the worst areas for traffic in the state. I am within 2 miles of rt 40, rt 1, rt 273, i95 and the damn mall!

Latest posts

Back