Good Greek Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to a greek restaurant called The Greek Isles here in Chicago tonight with my girlfriend and I'm wondering if there were any good beers made in Greece to try, pending them carrying any good beers in general.

I know there is a Turkish Pilsner called Efes that's alright, but I think thats more of a European BMC...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, I hope they have either/both of those. On another note, I just took a trip to Binny's and got a six pack of Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale, its good stuff but alas... twist off caps...

:mad:

I don't think the Greeks are known for their beer. Grapes grow better than barley there, so they never really got into the beer thing. Same with Italy.

ask for a pint of ouzo kinda liquorishy but it'll get ya drunk:mug:

Try the Ouzo and mix it with water to, "make it lite" as my Greek tour guide said. If they have Raki try that too. I drank Mythos and Ouzo everyday in Greece.

I have been to Greece before and turkey and someone mentioned they are not known for their beer. That is correct. Every greek beer I had was pretty much BMC. Mythos is crap, Efes isnt much better. Its almost worst then BMC IMO.

Edit: Ouzo rules. I didnt drink that much of it but its pretty good. Someone mentioned Peroni Nastro Azzuro. I think thats the crap they serve at Macaroni Grill then yes, it tastes horrible.

Greek Isles? No way! Dianas! Used to go there all the time years ago. Is Petros still kicking?
The only time I really drink wine is when I go out for Greek food. Gotta get a bottle of Roditis with dinner you know.
And Ouzo... One time a group of us went to a Greek place and had a good ol' time: dinner, about 5 bottles of wine, numerous beers. The owner bought us all Ouzo, but brought it out mixed with water. Very nice of him, but I was somewhat offended as that manner or serving is kinda considered for lightweights. ;) His wasn't mixed with water. Though he did say he was worried about how much we drank. Honestly though, I like Ouzo straight. Of course, we went to the bar afterward.

Back to the original question: It's been a while, but I think Aegean is pretty good if they have it. Basically a Pilsner.

Chris

Ya, I ended up having a Hellas, pretty much BMC, while we waited for our table and then got a bottle of the house red. The food was good, and if Petros is the nice, older guy running everything up front then, yes, he's still kicking.

Ouzo is good stuff, I used to get a bottle of that all the time back when I was in school, it was also entertaining to shake it and watch it turn white.

I lived in Turkey for 2 years, Izmir to be exact and learned to love the Efes, however it tasted better a little warm than cooler and from tap to be honest.

I wouldn't mind doing a Mavi 44 or a Turborg Red clone just for memory sakes.

Back