o2 Aeration times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnome

Reaction score
how long do you let the o2 run with a stainless steel air stone? I've done 2 minutes but wonder what others do

Honestly, I would like to do it longer but my carboy fills up with foam so damn quickly that about 2 minutes is all that I can do before it starts coming out of the neck.

I do between 20 and 30 seconds. I always reach my predicted final gravity. I don't get any off flavors associated with stressed yeast. One can of O2 lasts me about 25-30 batches.

I read somewhere 30 sec for average OG and 1 minute for high OG.

That is what I've been doing and has been working great. Even for RIS and Belgian Quads.

I've heard about a minute will give you 80-90% saturation, and 90 seconds will give you 100%++...or something along those lines. Either way, I shoot for 90.

The instructions with my O2 kit said 45 seconds for beers under 1.060, and 90 seconds for thos above. That's what I have always used.

I do 30 seconds for 5 gallons, 45 for higher gravity (with a .5 micron stone). Always worked for me 8ppm is all you need for lower gravity beer, 16ppm for above 8%, above 40 ppm you start risking off flavors(I've read).

The time to get enough depends on the pressure of the O2 bottle, the temp of the wort, and the size stone you are using. With 80ish degree wort and a .5 micron stone 30 seconds has always worked fine for me. My lag times are usually between 2 and 4 hours and they always ferment out.

well i went 3 minutes this time . Stainless Steel stone seems to be clogged. I soak it before and after use in Starstan solution and take care not to touch the stone, it has set for six months. Any recommendations on cleaning the Stone?

well i went 3 minutes this time . Stainless Steel stone seems to be clogged. I soak it before and after use in Starstan solution and take care not to touch the stone, it has set for six months. Any recommendations on cleaning the Stone?

My stone came with instructions to boil it in water for 10min to remove any gunk that builds up in it. It also sanitizes it.

I boil my stone prior to every use to sanitize it. The stone is porous and can harbor bugs. I don't trust just using a sanitizer.

So, curious to know what the consensus is... on this thread everyone is saying keep it under 2 mins. I did a search under 'aeration' and other threads suggest going as high as 20 mins with an aqua pump and stone...

Confused! I too after say 2 minutes will start to get foam going all over the place...

So, curious to know what the consensus is... on this thread everyone is saying keep it under 2 mins. I did a search under 'aeration' and other threads suggest going as high as 20 mins with an aqua pump and stone...

Confused! I too after say 2 minutes will start to get foam going all over the place...

aeration and adding pure O2 are two different things. When you use air pump you are only putting a small amount of O2 in because air has other gasses.

Now when you hook the stone to an o2 tank and let her rip you are infusing pure O2

If you're using an aqua pump and stone, you don't have an O2 system. You're pumping regular air (like, the stuff around us that we breath). That's about 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen*.

It's going to take a lot longer to aerate with that sort of setup than with an oxygen system.

*Technically it's more like 78% N2, 21% O2, almost 1% argon, and some CO2 and trace amounts of other stuff

Ah, clearly you guys are dealing with a rookie here! :ban:

So... using the aqua pump, how do you prevent the foam from going all over the place?

On Wyeast Lab's website, they mention that they have performed experiments on different methods of aeration. Using pure oxygen, they say that 5 gallons of wort will reach 12 ppm dissolved oxygen if you oxygenate for 60 seconds.

This information was not precise enough for me, so I used their Contact Us link to get some more information. They replied, and gave me all the details of their experiment:

To reach 12 ppm in a 5 gallon wort between 1.040 and 1.050, oxygenate for 60 seconds with a flow rate of 3.5 LPM through a 2 micron stone.

To reach 12 ppm in a 5 gallon wort between 1.040 and 1.050, oxygenate for 60 seconds with a flow rate of 3.5 LPM through a 2 micron stone.

In my case the flow rate is 400 ccPM for the wort cooling duration.
The end result comes close to you numbers.
For Bockbiers I inject more O2 after 12 hrs. but less than 24 hrs.
OXY_Flow1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back