Brewhouse IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajk170

Reaction score
Ok- so tonight I am starting my Brewhouse IPA and I am trying to decide what I should/could do to it to make it better than what it is. I have 2oz of cascade hops that I am going to use to dry hop it with. I also have 1 oz Paradise seeds and ground corriander. I read somehwere on here about taking a gallon of the wort and re-boiling it to increase the IBUs a bit but I'm not sure I want to go through all that.

I am using Wyeast 1007 rather than the coopers that it came with. I also have several pounds Muttons spray malt extract Plain Light that I am thinking about using for the botteling rather than dextrose.

I also have Wyeast 3068 (that I was planning on using for a future cider or a winter ale) that I could use instead of the 1007 - but that's not primed liek the 1007 is.

I also read what Flyguy and others talked areiler this year in previous posts and see that they recommended Wyeast 1056. I now realize that a German yeast maynot be the best thing for a "true" IPA but, oh well- live and learn right? I'm sure it will turn out - maybe it won't win any awards but that's ok for now!

Here's what RJ Spagnols says the IPA is made with:

Colour: (Deg.Lovibond) - 14
Bitterness: 50 IBU
O.G.: 1.051-1.053
Malts: Munich, Pale 2 Row,Cara-pils, Carastan
Hops: Centennial- Bittering, Goldings- Aroma

Thanks for any input!

Cheers!:mug:

Well, maybe that's not the right combination- I am new to the brewing world - so I'm like the perverbial kid in the candy store! Throw it all together and maybe I'll get something good! :D

I dig experimenting and would never discourage such things, but I would steer clear of combining paradise seed and coriander and an IPA. Save that stuff for a wit or something. Dry hopping with 2 oz. Cascades will give you a profound hop aroma and make for a killer IPA.

Thanks Hooter- my gut was telling me that orange was good in my summer ale- but maybe not in an IPA. If it was, I'd see more micros doing it and certainly more people here would talk about it!

I never used paradise - I'd seen it on the Boston Lager and thought, "If they're using it, then I should too!" It's just a matter of what does it go with? The back of the package suggests orange - so, one and one . . . may not make an IPA!!

Thanks for the support!

I never used paradise - I'd seen it on the Boston Lager and thought, "If they're using it, then I should too!" It's just a matter of what does it go with? The back of the package suggests orange - so, one and one . . . may not make an IPA!!

I believe that's Sam Adam's summer beer your referring to, which is not an IPA by any means. For an IPA you'll generally stick to the basics- Water, Barley (and/or extract), Yeast and lots of hops. Coriander and orange peel are commonly used in a Belgian witbier (Blue Moon for example), which are lightly hopped. I'm not really familiar with the grains of paradise, other than the Sam Adam's brew previously mentioned.

Latest posts

Back