First wine smells awful?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
So I made this kit, the Italian Pinot Grigio.

World Vineyard Wine Making Kits - Wine making supplies - Home wine making supply

I followed all of the directions to a T. I don't remember what those directions were, but I know I did them correctly. I can see two mistakes that may have messed with it. First, it may have been fermenting too warm. The temperature in my home is about 72-75, so maybe that had something to do with it. Also, I didn't have a good way to de-gas the wine, so I used my brew spoon to stir the heck out of it. I had to wrap a rubberband around the handle of the spoon because it was scratching my better bottle, and of course that rubber band, which had previously held asparagus together, fell into the wine. It wasn't in there for more than 5 minutes before I racked the wine to another container, then I let it bulk age for three weeks. At bottling it just smelled rancid and was undrinkable. I let it age for two more months in bottles and it, while it tastes better, even decent, the smell is just completely disgusting.

Any ideas for what may have caused this? What I can do to prevent it in the future. I would love to keep making Pinot, but my guy at LHBS says he has bad luck making whites, and it seems like I do too...

Give it time. New wine isn't the best stuff in the world and has all kinds of funky flavors and aromas. Put it in a dark corner and don't smell it for a couple of months. Then see if it's improved.

Next time try racking back to the primary prior to degassing. It's much easier that way and will save your expensive Better Bottles.

im not a pro at wine but im pretty sure stirring the heck out of it is a bad thing because introducing air bubbles creates off flavors due to oxidation- atleast with beer and mead....

Back