Amarillo Single Malt Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't brewed in a couple months and I'm itching to get going again. After adding Amarillo to my brown ale I have found a new favorite hop. I was thinking of featuring it in a pale ale that will use Maris Otter malt only. It will be fairly light colored and may not have a big malt back bone but I want this beer to feature the Amarillo hops. I would like to mash in the 152 to 154 degree range so it will be fairly fermentable and use a good neutral yeast like 1056.
Thoughts? Ideas?

A ProMash Recipe Report

AHA Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.43
Anticipated SRM: 4.9
Anticipated IBU: 49.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 10.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 39.8 60 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 6.7 20 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 3.3 5 min.

Yeast
Wyeast 1056

This is something I've been rolling around in my head for quite a while. I ended up doing MO & EKG instead but it was a tough choice. I think MO & Amarillo would end up being a great beer. Maybe think about going with Wyeast 1272 or WLP051 just to get a little more complexity out of it. Just a thought. 1056 would probably do just fine.

I likey.

I'd sure want to dry hop...but that's just me.

Just out of habit, I'd prolly toss in 1/2 pound of #10 or cara.

I'm actually thinking about dry hopping but I haven't decided yet. The carapils might not be a bad idea for added body. I'd have to change the name though!!!

I'm actually thinking about dry hopping but I haven't decided yet. The carapils might not be a bad idea for added body. I'd have to change the name though!!!
Maybe if you toast a pound of the MO for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Then you get some biscuity complexity, but still stick with a single malt.

I might brew this too. I've been yammering about how my next batch should be 2-Row + Amarillo (we kicked the keg of 2-Row + Hersbrucker last night, after only 8 days!).

+1 on BM's home-toasted idea too.

I loves me some single hopped Amarillo. Just did an IPA with 10 ounces of Amarillo hops. Quite Yummy is an understatement....go for it :D

Rich, I brew this all the time. In fact, most of what I brew is some variation on an amarillo pale ale. I try to brew what I like, and it's tough for me to get away from Amarillo. I might throw in some carapils if you had some sitting around, otherwise, the MO is great all by itself.

The house IPA at the brewpub I work at is made with 100% Amarillos and 100% Maris Otter. It is delicious and refreshing.

I brewed pretty much the same thing 3 weeks ago. I haven't tasted it yet though, so I won't comment on that. It should be good though...

10.00 lb Pale Ale (Crisp) (5.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] (60 min) Hops 31.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

Well, I just mashed in and nailed my temp.
Here is the adjusted recipe in which I roasted 2 pounds of the MO and I decided that I will dry hop. I used Dude's procedure for roasting the grain . I put the grain on a cookie sheet and roasted at 275 degrees for 30 minutes.

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

AHA Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale
Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.00
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.04
Anticipated SRM: 5.3
Anticipated IBU: 51.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
81.8 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
18.2 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Roasted Great Britain 1.038 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.90 38.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.90 9.8 30 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.90 3.2 5 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.90 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

SafAle S-05 Amercan Ale/Chico

Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 160 Time: 30

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.38 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I ended up with 5 1/2 gallons at 1.055. I used a bazooka tube for the first time and it caused a lot of waste in the kettle. I need to figure out how to put a dip tube into it or something. All in all a nice brew day!

Funny that I read this today since I just ordered all the ingredients for a variation of Dude's Lake Walk brew using less crystal 60 & MO instead of 2-row with simcoe and amarillo hops.

I was hoping the MO base along with some toasted MO will make for an interesting brew.

I made this with 9 lbs Marris Otter 1 lb of Cara-pils and the same hop schedule. It was tasty but it would have been better if I would have dry hopped.

I called mine Amarillo Beach. :)

On a side note;
My current living arangements have me sleeping in the basement. It is really cool because my bed is right next to my fermenter. I get to hear the glub glub of fermentation all night! I smells wonderful too! :mug:

It just got racked to secondary and the hops definitely dominate at this point. I'm looking forward to the first glass of finished beer! I dry hopped with 1 ounce of Amarillo.

I just kegged it and had a small taste.
I think this is going to be a fantastic beer. The hop aroma coming out while I racked it into the keg was fantastic. I had a small taste of it and it is a very clean nice tasting beer. I'll post when it is conditioned and ready to drink. I force carbonated it at 35 psi while rocking it for about 5 minutes.

Yep, I kegged mine on Saturday, right at 31psi. Need to bring the keg back up from the basement, and hit it with a bit more CO2 to make sure it's keeping at 31. I didn't steal a taste though. The fermenter SMELLED great though!!!!!!

I'll probably hit it back to 31psi, let it sit 2 more days, and tap it Saturday when I brew. Maybe I'll vent the pressure and put it in the fridge Friday night, so it gets nice and chilly.

After the results of my Hersbrucker SMaSH, I'm super excited for this one! :)

Funny I never saw this thread, I made a beer almost exactly the same. I decided to toss in a bit of flaked barley and a touch of 20L. It's cold crashing right now, to be kegged soon.

Holy Crap!!!!

Yeah. It's good. It's real good. I pulled a half-pint then came in here to type. Well, it took a minute to find the email to get to this post... I'm on my second full pint now. It's THAT good.

+1 to Golden Promise. I had never used it before. Honestly, it's delicious. Complements the pineapply Amarillo goodness oh-so-well.

Still undercarb'ed.. I turned the other kegs off and cranked the regulator up to 16psi now that it's nice and cold in the keg fridge. But even vaguely flat, gosh darn this is a keeper.

It's weird though. I keep swearing I taste chocolate malt in it. Nothing but Golden Promise, and 2# of pale 2-row to get my gravity where I wanted it.

Back