Corn syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackshirtproud

Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question, But would corn syrup work the same as corn sugar for bottling. I do not have a LHBS for 90 miles and instead of ordering DME would a clear corn syrup like Karo work?

I do not believe that it will. The powdered corn sugar is dextrose and I believe that Karo syrup has other ingredients besides dextrose.

edit: Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

It'll work just fine...mostly. Corn syrup usually contains dextrose and fructose, both of which are fermentable. It also sometimes contains vanilla flavoring. Try to find a brand without the vanilla if you can. If not, I doubt the subtle vanilla flavor will really impact your beer, given the small amount you'll be adding. Use 10-20% more syrup than granulated dextrose to account for water content.

YooperBrew said:
If I couldn't use corn sugar or DME, I think I'd try table sugar before corn syrup. Just my $.02.

+1. Any simple sugar will work, and in the minute quantities that are used for bottling, you would never notice the difference. Simpler, cheaper, cleaner.

The problem with syrups is it is hard to tell exactly how much sugar is in there, and the effect it will have on carbonation.

Table sugar works perfectly well, though it takes a couple days longer to fully carbonate. Not really an issue, though if you are in a hurry, you can invert the table sugar. Add 2/3 cup to a cup of water, squeeze in a lemon, and boil for 15 minutes.

Nick

I'd definitely go with pure cane table sugar over corn syrup.

remember to weigh it. measuring by volume is inaccurate.

Back