Irving, TX water quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovanmaxwell

Reaction score
Are any of you local brewers familiar with how often the city's water source changes? I've started noticing a difference in taste between warm/cold months. My suspicion is there is a higher concentration of algae in the water in the warm months.

Reason I'm asking is because around the time I brewed my last batch I noticed a change in the way the water tastes and I've got an off flavor I'm trying to figure out. I doubt it's infected. The beer is slightly sour. I found out I fermented too warm for the US-04 which could cause it. But like I said, I'm suspicious of the water itself as well.

What are you local folks doing for your brewing water? I'm getting ready to order a test kit from Ward Labs. I'm just curious if y'all have noticed anything similar and what you're doing about it.

Thanks!

I'm not too far from you and I believe that during the warmer months chemicals are added to the water to help keep it fresher longer. I can tell a difference in Summer and winter water when I'm drinking plain water.

Thanks for the confirmation. That's good to know. One of these days I'll drop my the water department and see if I can talk to someone there briefly and find out how often the source changes and what changes to the composition happen. Sending labs out a few times in a year is not something I'm necessarily opposed to, but I don't want to waste money on it either.

I use a fairly cheap RO water shop near me for my brewing water and it works out fine.

I know Deep Ellum Brewing uses a charcoal filter for their brewing water.

Interesting. I'll have to try that with my next batch. I was just concerned with losing minerals with RO water. A charcoal filter probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Thanks for the info.

Back