Help with yeast for barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I am planning my next batch- my first barleywine/
I am hoping to reuse the yeast from my porter (Currently in the primary)
which is an English Ale yeast. I've never done this before, so
I wanted to get some suggestions. My thoughts were the easiest thing to do would be to bottle the porter and brew the barley wine on the same night, and then I could just leave the sediment from the porter and reuse the primary for my barleywine. I believe I've read about this techinique before, but can't remember where. Is this technique advisable?
any other suggestions?

Thanks

if your going to pour right on top of the yeast cake, i'd watch out for blow-off. how big is your fermenter?? i know i'm not doing a barley wine until i pick up a 7.9 gallon fermenter, i figured that this would be enough room for a 5 gallon batch of barley wine! i have no desire to mop the ceiling or the walls or........!!!!! can you also post the recipe?? i'm always looking for barley wine recipes!!

Pitching a high gravity wort onto the cake is the best thing you can do for a good ferment. However, as noted, it will blow. Tape the tube to the carboy and run it to a big bucket.

The English Ale yeast may die out before the BW is completely fermented, so plan on racking it to a secondary and adding champagne or a dry white wine yeast to finish it. I use a keg for the secondary and burp it every couple weeks. After six months, I'll transfer it to another keg for aging and dry hopping.

I would hold off on the champagne yeast. If the yeast bed from the previous batch doesn't give you enough fermentation you may want to think about adding a higher alcohol tolerant ale yeast.

OK so I am thinking of using the DRY english ale yeast after the regular one fizzles out. Should I just plan on adding it when I rack to a secondary?
and how should I go about adding- I assume I still want significant quantities (not just a pitchable tube) - should I make a starter or go ahead and do a batch with it so I can repitch it from another batch (I'm planning on doing another batch anyway) - and then do I need to re-aerate the wort as well?

Or do I wait until the first yeast comes to a complete stop before pitching the new one????

This is my first time with a high gravity ale --- any and all help would be apreciated!!

thanks

if you can find this one, i'd use it:

WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast

Brewers Notes:
Flavors from this yeast vary greatly with the beer produced. The higher the gravity, the more winey the result. Beers over 16% ABV begin to taste less like beer, and more like fortified wines. With low gravity beers, this yeast produces a nice, subtle English ale-like ester profile.As the gravity increases, some phenolic character is evident, followed by the winey-ness of beers over 16% ABV. Most fermentations will stop between 12-16% ABV unless these high gravity tips are performed:

Aerate very heavily, 4 times as much as with a normal gravity beer. Less oxygen dissolves into solution at high gravity.
Pitch 3-4 times as much yeast as normal.
Consider aerating intermittently during the first 5 days of fermentation. This will help yeast cells during a very difficult fermentation. Aerate with oxygen for 30 seconds or air for 5-10 minutes.
Higher nutrient levels can allow yeast to tolerate higher alcohol levels. Use 2 times the normal nutrient level. This is especially important when using WLP099 to make wine and mead, which have almost no nutrient level to begin with.
Do not start with the entire wort sugar at once. Begin fermentation with a wort that would produce a 6-8% beer, and add wort (it can be concentrated) each day during the first 5 days. This can be done together with aeration. This is mandatory if the reported 25% ABV is to be achieved.
See schedule for availability.

Back