First Partial Mash Ingred Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew355

Reaction score
Getting ready for my first attempt, and have decided to use the following recipe. I am unsure about some of the ingredients though.

The recipe is from biermucnher, and next to it is the ingredients i was going to use

5 gallon batch

3lbs extra light DME
1lb
2lbs wheat flaked
1.49oz Kent Goldings
1 pkg Wyeast #3944

Most of the ingredients are Munton & Fison (UK), and was wondering if they were a quality supplier or not?

Does my interpretation of this recipe add up is my biggest concern?

Also, do i start the mash with 2.5 gallons of water, and then sparge with another 2.5 gallons?

In a partial mash, is it necessary to add water at the end?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm just kinda nervous about this one.

I only see one recipe posted here, if you could post the recipe from Biermuncher and then your recipe it would help answer your ingredient questions.

Munton's is a quality supplier, I use their DME exclusively.

I typically use a water to grain ratio of 1.33 quarts of water per pound of grain. Using that ratio you should mash with a gallon of water. I usually sparge with 1.5 times the amount of mash water so you should sparge with 1.5 gallons.

Yes, in Partial mash you add top-off water. If you are able to boil enough water for a full boil I would suggest you skip the PM stage and go right to AG, the difference is minimal.

Hope that helps.

the recipe listed is an adaptation of his all grain recipe. Their was post by him saying it would be a good base. i did however forget to include the .75 oz of coriander seed and bitter orange peel, both of which are boiled for the final 10 minutes.

Biermuncher has many many recipes posted. Without know which one you are using it is impossible for me to comment on your recipe. Please post a link the Muncher's recipe and restate your recipe indicating your hopping schedule, mash schedule, and ingredients (above you have listed 1lb but don't list the ingredient). I would really like to help you but I need more information.

Link to the recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24978

Partial mash recipe

3lbs extra light dme
1lb wheat dme
2lbs wheat flaked
1.5 oz goldings
.75 oz orange peel, bitter
.75 oz corianader seed
1 pkg belgian witbier(Wyest #3944)

For mahsing the flaked wheat, i will follow the technique outlined by the jaded dog. Mash at 155 degrees for 70 minutes and sparge with water heated to 172 degrees. Then add both extracts. Once boiling, add the hops for the entire boil. In the last ten minutes of the boil i would add the orange peel and coriander seed. Then cool and pitch the yeast

I hope this is the information that you were looking for, if not just ask. Thanks for sticking with me on this one and putting up with my ignorance. Much appreciated!

Okay, couple of issues. First and foremost, when doing a partial mash you have to use some base grains in the mash, I don't see any base grains here. Without the base grains to convert the starches to sugar, you don't get any fermentables from the mashing process. You could use the ingredients you have listed here as an extract plus steeping grains recipe, but that is not the same as partial mash. If you go the extract plus steeping grains route then you should heat water to 155 degrees, steep the wheat flaked for 20 minutes, bring to boil, add extract, and proceed.

or

You could do the following for a PM recipe based on Muncher's AG:

Mash grains in 2 quarts of water at 155 for 60 minutes, sparge with 3 quarts of 170 degree water.
1lb Pale Malt
.5 lb Wheat, Flaked

Bring to boil then add the following extracts:
3lbs extra light DME
1lb wheat DME

Return to boil and follow hopping schedule.
1.25oz EKG for 60 minutes
Corriander and Orange Peel for last 5 minutes

This is not much of a PM. If you are able to do more than a 1.5 gallon boil you could up the amounts of base grain and mash/sparge water, just make sure you adjust the hops down to account for the increased utilization in a larger boil and use less DME.

Again, without knowing the specifics of your system it is hard to tell you exactly what to do. How much water can you boil? Are you using an MLT or mashing in your kettle? The answers to these questions will alter the recipe somewhat.

Personally if I were you I would use the ingredients you have and do an extract plus steeping grains batch, but that is just me.

Okay, with a five gallon pot you are limited to a maximum of 3 gallons for boiling anyway because you need space to prevent boil-overs. Can your heating element boil that much water?

Sounds like you are pretty new to brewing, have you done any brews yet? If not, I would highly recommend putting this one on the back-burner and getting a kit of a style you like for the first go-round. Then pull this one back off the shelf once you have a feel for the process.

Yes my heating element is capable of boiling 3 gallons of water. I have done the kits and they turned out good without any problems.

Okay, here is what I would do:

1. Mash the following grains in 1.25 gallons of water at 155 degrees:

3lbs Pale Malt
1lb Wheat, Flaked

2. Sparge with 2.25 gallons of water at 170 degrees
3. Bring to boil
4. Add the following extract:

1lb Extra Light DME
1lb Wheat DME

5. Return to boil
6. Add hops: 1oz EKG for 60 minutes
7. Add orange and coriander for last 5 minutes of boil

The more grains you are able to mash the better your beer will be. I would recommend building one of the countertop cooler MLTs (see the cooler conversion post by FlyGuy) but you could mash in your kettle with a grain bag if you wanted to (sparging will just be hard).

Sounds good, the only question that i have left about this is which pale malt do i use?

Thanks again

Back