Heck yes, found a good LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
As many of you know through some of my rants I have been having big problems with the LHBS around here. Well Finley got some time in my schedule to brew, but no time to order. So went to the small store in Arlington to try them out. My main problem with the other store was horrible service, just flat out rude and a horrible crush. Went to Dr. Jeckyll's Beer Lab, Pat the owner was very friendly(That was a very nice change). Had everything I needed, plus one of the best crushes I have ever gotten. Looks like what I see on here all the time. And to top it off it was 8+ bucks cheaper than it would have been if I had ordered online. Anyways anyone in the DFW area I highly Recommend Dr. Jeckyll's Beer Lab on Park row. :mug:

If I won the lottery, I'd buy the place, re-name it Mr Hyde's and get Paris Hilton to run it for a few eps of the Simple Life just to mess with ya.

OT: People who say they wouldn't know what to do with the money aren't thinking hard enough.

Nice to have somewhere close. The LHBS I have gone to a few times is about 30 miles away. Which is OK but could be a 3-4 hour round trip during the evening traffic. Nice and easy ride on Saturday mornings though...

hell yes just got bad ass efficiency, with the crush. Tasted awesome too, no more need to order. This is gonna be nice.

Beerrific,

What LHBS do you go to? I live in Loganville and I've gone to the one in Alpharetta and Lilburn. I travel often and havent brewed much lately, but the ingredients I got from Alpharetta I wasnt too impressed with.

nobes341 said:
Beerrific,

What LHBS do you go to? I live in Loganville and I've gone to the one in Alpharetta and Lilburn. I travel often and havent brewed much lately, but the ingredients I got from Alpharetta I wasnt too impressed with.

I go to the one in Alpharetta (http://www.beernecessities.com). I like it, they have a very nice selection of fresh grain and go through it very fast. What have you gotten there that you weren't impressed with? I have been to the one in Lilburn too...good store, nice folks, I just find the one in Alpharetta to be better stocked and have a higher turnover.

Ryanh1801 said:
As many of you know through some of my rants I have been having big problems with the LHBS around here. Well Finley got some time in my schedule to brew, but no time to order. So went to the small store in Arlington to try them out. My main problem with the other store was horrible service, just flat out rude and a horrible crush. Went to Dr. Jeckyll's Beer Lab, Pat the owner was very friendly(That was a very nice change). Had everything I needed, plus one of the best crushes I have ever gotten. Looks like what I see on here all the time. And to top it off it was 8+ bucks cheaper than it would have been if I had ordered online. Anyways anyone in the DFW area I highly Recommend Dr. Jeckyll's Beer Lab on Park row. :mug:

Thanks dude, I'll have to check them out this weekend when I drive home. :mug:

I may be falsely holding a grudge because I had a batch that didnt turn out well after using ingredients from that LHBS. It's close to where I work, so I may give it another shot. Something that did throw me off was the Hops they have there. All other LHBS I've been to refridgerate their hops. They had them on the wall like office pens. Also, the LME came in cans. I'm probably just spoiled from the great LHBS I had out in Honolulu. If the LME wasnt fresher and the Hops werent fresher in Hawaii, atleast they gave the illusion that it was =)

I will say the people there are great and everytime I've been in, there was atleast one homebrew to sample. Cannot complain with that at all. I may give the Lilburn store a shot this next time around and there's one inside the perimeter (I think) that sounds like it's stocked nicely. Here's the link to it. Have you checked this one out yet?

http://winecraftatl.com/

nobes341 said:
Beerrific,

Don't forget "Just Brew It" in Fayetteville, Ga. Only open Thu, Fri, Sat, but Doug is a great guy. Always helpful and well stocked. My ONLY less than positive comment is that he's often OVERLY helpful/talkative about your budding brew. That's great if he's helping you, but it's not so good if you're next in line to be helped... On your first trip to JBI, don't get mad and leave if you feel unwelcome when you first walk in. Doug isn't ignoring you or being stuck up. He'll give you all the TLC you want/need in a few minutes, he just does it one at a time...

I got started with the one in Lilburn, but I haven't been there since they were located in what is now the Lowe's parking lot.

nobes341 said:
I may give the Lilburn store a shot this next time around and there's one inside the perimeter (I think) that sounds like it's stocked nicely. Here's the link to it. Have you checked this one out yet?

http://winecraftatl.com/

Yeah, been there. It is a couple blocks OTP. It is very expensive and does mostly wine business, but they have a great stock of equipment.

I think he keeps the hops on the wall just because they go through them so fast. I have seen him in the back vacuum sealing the little bags off the bulk that they keep cold.

Back