Is secondary needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastyboys

Reaction score
I just brewed Sam Calagione's Blood Orange Hefeweizen and I am wondering if it needs a secondary. Normally I know HW's don't need secondary fermentation as they are intended to be cloudy, but this recipe calls for fruit and zest in primary so I'm wondering if that changes anything. Also I didn't strain the hops out so I still have about a .5-1" thick layer of hops at the bottom of my carboy.

Many fruit beers are made by racking to secondary on top of the fruit. If the "secondary or not" debate has a neutral point, this is as close as it gets. If you do some research on fruit beers, racking to secondary is the normal procedure.

The reasoning is that the vigorous phase of primary fermentation removes much of that fruit flavor that otherwise would be available if added in secondary. Maybe the recipe already has that taken into account since it says to add it to primary.

I do realize that I am not going to get as much in your face orange flavor, but hey that's what the recipe said. And I added .75 lb of orange blossom honey. But otherwise I followed it 100%

If you add fruit to primary, I'd wait until active ferm has subsided. You certainly can go either way. I hate cleaning, so avoid secondary.

Back