Beer Smith Mash/Sparge Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaster_54738

Reaction score
Question on mash and sparge water amounts. Currently I'm using a 5 gallon cooler for MLT and HLT but I do have a 10 gallon cooler ready to be used for a MLT. When I change the equipment on beer smith to a 10 gallon cooler and the batch size to 5 gallons my mash and sparge water amounts change. Below is the amount for Dead Ringer IPA

5 gallon MLT
Mash water - 15qt
Sparge water - 4.46gal
Pre-boil volume - 6.52

10 gallon MLT
Mash water - 18.20qt
Sparge water - 5.06 gal
Pre-boil volume - 7.37

So my question is which amounts do I go by? Even though I'm using a 10 gallon cooler should I still use the 5 gallon cooler amounts?

blaster_54738 said:
Question on mash and sparge water amounts. Currently I'm using a 5 gallon cooler for MLT and HLT but I do have a 10 gallon cooler ready to be used for a MLT. When I change the equipment on beer smith to a 10 gallon cooler and the batch size to 5 gallons my mash and sparge water amounts change. Below is the amount for Dead Ringer IPA

5 gallon MLT
Mash water - 15qt
Sparge water - 4.46gal
Pre-boil volume - 6.52

10 gallon MLT
Mash water - 18.20qt
Sparge water - 5.06 gal
Pre-boil volume - 7.37

So my question is which amounts do I go by? Even though I'm using a 10 gallon cooler should I still use the 5 gallon cooler amounts?

Yes, use the 5 gallon amounts. You need to review all of the other settings in your revised equipment set up because some of the other items are causing the new numbers to be skewed.

Back