New kind of wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2live

Reaction score
Hey,
I have been brewing for About a year and started looking at chillers(I am getting tired of ice baths). I found this
chevyguy1231
? on ebay and wanted to know if anyone has used one of these before?

Thanks

Sorry the image did not show up, I originally tried to post the auction but that would not show up. I then tried to save it to photobucket and have the image show up but that didn't work (obviously). anyway, if you go to ebay and type in "wort chiller" there are less than 100 results. you will know it when you see it.

thanks again...

just looks like a fancy IC to me. I can't see that it would boost efficiency that much.

Plus I don't use a square BK:D

Yeah, looks like a different configuration on a traditional immersion chiller. Maybe it gives you a little more practical surface area, since less of the chiller tube is right next to other sections of the chiller tube, and instead exposed directly to the wort itself?

But I'm with NewBrew2 - without knowing the actual dimensions of the thing, there's no way to know for sure if it's going to actually fit into your brew kettle!

Description says 10" corner to corner. Pretty small. Would work with hose pressure but definitely not for recirc.

squarechiller.jpg

I would think it would be more efficient as there's certainly no laminar flow inside there so all the water would be absorbing heat.

That might be small enough that you could get your spoon/mash paddle between it and the kettle wall and give it a good stir.
I bet that would be pretty darn effective.

Back