welche's grape concentrate wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-n-booze

Reaction score
i was gonna start a wine using welches grape concentrate per the recipe on jack keller's website. i was just wondering if anyone here has tried this and how did it turn out? i was hoping for a some what dry wine to pair with pasta and red meats.

My recipe is exactly like Jack Keller's, from what I remember. The only change I would make is to leave out the acid blend initially.

It's a tart concord grape wine. We like it, but it's not at all like a table wine you're used to, unless you drink Mogen David wine with dinner! It's basically an unsweetened version of Mogen David. You can sweeten it if you want, to make it less tart.

I've made a handful of concord wines, many from the welch's line of products. They can be made into a perfect concord, but I am just not sure a concord is really what you are looking to pair with pasta and red meats. All of my concords are semi-sweet to sweet, and the all of them produced commerically are very similar. I would prefer it as a stand alone wine or with a dessert of sorts, but everyone is different. I would encourage you to use some real fruit, maybe raisins, in there someplace the all concentrate wines seem very jammy or sickly sweet to me. Good luck, let us hear how it goes.

so here is what i ended up doing. i basically took the jack keller recipe, multiplied it by five (to make five gallons of wine), but substituted 2 cans of concentrate for 3 pounds of raisins. i appreciate all the advicce on this, i'm actually fine with more of a desert wine. thats usually what i prefere. anyway, i started it last night and its already bubbling away!

what exactly do the raisins do for the wine? im new to this and taking it all in and have seen the raisin additive in a few places, but havent seen much of an explanation. thanks!

What I've done is to ferment it, stabilize it and back sweeten with simple syrup. I add the syrup to a SG of about 1.020, wait a week to make sure no new fermatation occurs and then bottle. It makes a great "sweet wine".

Back