Which 3 Hops in Bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I want to buy some hops in bulk, maybe from hopsdirect, but not sure.

Some of my favorite styles are APAs, Nut Browns, and Copper/Amber Ales.

What 3 hops should I buy in bulk?

I'm thinking Cascade for sure. And then maybe Willamette. Not sure about a third. Perhaps Centennial as dual purpose hop.

What do you all think I should get?

Willamette is a great choice, works well with the citrusy hops and allows a different character for your beer if you use it on its own.

Centennial or Cascade are a pretty standard brewing workhorse for american beers

Maybe a clean high alpha bittering hop for the third? Magnum is an option.

I tend to think of hops as being in three "types" - domestic, British, and noble. If it were me, I'd buy something like Cascade, either EKG or Fuggles, and then either Halletau or Tettnang. Those three hops and you can brew pretty 98% of all beers (using the Noble hops in something Belgian, for example). You might still buy a few ounces here and there to complement those.

That's what I would do - three hops can cover your bases pretty well. I love me some Centennial, but you can always use Cascade instead (actually, I'd probably buy the Centennial instead of the Cascade).

Back