beer bottle sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I'm not at home and I was trying to find the size of a beer bottle, and I came across this Wiki post I thought was interesting.. Does anyone follow or think about this?

Lifespan of a beer bottle..

Longneck, Industry Standard Bottle (ISB) // North American longneck

A North American longneck is a type of beer bottle with a long neck. It is known as the standard longneck bottle or industry standard bottle (ISB). The ISB longnecks have a uniform capacity, height, weight and diameter and can be reused on average 16 times. The long neck offers a long cushion of air to absorb the pressure of carbonation to reduce the risk of exploding. In Canada, in 1992, the large breweries agreed to all use a 341 ml longneck bottle of standard design, thus replacing the traditional stubby bottle and an assortment of brewery-specific long-necks which had come into use in the mid-80's. The Canadian stubby bottle was traditionally 341 ml (11.5 U.S. fl oz; 12.0 imp fl oz) while the US longneck was 355 ml (12.0 U.S. fl oz; 12.5 imp fl oz). In Australia the term longneck is applied to bottles of 700-750mL capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_bottle

My impression from reading this is that lifespan is in reference to bottles that are recycled back into comercial production.

In the US, correct me if I'm wrong, but the lifespan of a bottle is 1 use.

As opposed to other countries like Germany that recycle thier bottles by returning them to breweries for reuse.

My impression from reading this is that lifespan is in reference to bottles that are recycled back into comercial production.

In the US, correct me if I'm wrong, but the lifespan of a bottle is 1 use.

As opposed to other countries like Germany that recycle thier bottles by returning them to breweries for reuse.

Commercial life span, sure. There are still some brewers who use returnables. Lion Brewing up in Scranton, I think, still uses 16 oz refillables.

Latest posts

Back