Dry hoping and bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
Well I dry hoped and put some lemon zest in the Wheat I'm ready to bottle. Tasted it and it certainly needs to mellow.... my question is this though....

I get these very small bubbles rising though. The gravity has stayed the same. It was 1.008 when I dry hoped and its still 1.008. What's the deal with the small bubbles.... very small bubbles. Airlock activity is non-existent. Ouside of mellowing it taste great... smells great.....

Sometimes you get bubbles and no air lock activity. But the bubbles are very small and few.

There is a certain amount of pressure variance that the air lock will allow before a bubble passes through the air lock. IE the pressure can raise and lower a little with no air lock action. Temp variations will make co2 go in and out of suspension(yes..during fermentation there is some co2 in suspension....very little but it is there). You see tiny bubbles when the wort warms up and the CO2 comes out of suspension. When it cools the co2 goes back into suspension. This can supply cycles of very small bubbles if you have a good air lock and seal.

Also you might have air leak somewhere.

I've put lemon zest in wort before, but have never dry hoped. Never actually seen bubbles in the secondary either so obviously I was curious if anyone had. Thanks for the responce!

Latest posts

Back