Hop Rod Rye? More like Crash and Burn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
So.....things aren't going well. About 10 minutes into steeping the grains I realized that it was suppose to be a partial mash. I figured I just won't get as much conversion as I should and instead of risking tannins and what not, I would just cut my loses and keep steeping. Well, I pull out the 8 pounds of grain in the grain bag which is a whole lot heavier now. I hold it over the brew pot over a strainer to get as much wort out as possible and then put it into a strainer and into another pot. Only about 1/2 of runoff came off from the grain bag after moving it to the strainer. So, now that I've lost a ton of water to the grain, what should I do? If I top off it's going to be so watered down. Do I just cut my loses and go with about 4 gal of wort? I don't have any extra DME/LME laying around. Should I run some water through the grain bag and dump it back in the pot? The bag has been cooling in the sink for about 30 min.

If it's PM and you didnt mash the grains your OG will be low anyway, and adding more top-off water will make it 20% lower yet. I wouldn't top it off myself.

I see another half an hour has passed: What did you do?

Argh.... What I did was re-steep the grain bag in a smaller pot which sucked because the bag took up almost the whole pot which didn't leave much space left for water. I ran a quart of water over the grains and dumped the approx 1 gal back into the brew pot to boil for a little while longer make make sure any nasties are boiled off. I'm sure this is the wrong move but it was all I could think of besides just living with the small batch.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to make a starter.

Shoot me in the face with a bazooka.

Alright, FLoyd.... you're going to have to have out with someone else at the brewfest in Durham. We GRABBASSholes can't be seen with you now.

Walker-san said:
Alright, FLoyd.... you're going to have to have out with someone else at the brewfest in Durham. We GRABBASSholes can't be seen with you now.

Oh man..... and I was going to bring you a shiny new hydrometer.

according to Walker's favorite homebrewing tool, my OG is 1.074, target OG was 1.076. Is this even possible with the amount of screw-ups I made? I'm probably just an idiot and can't read the damn hydrometer but I checked twice.

HurricaneFloyd said:
according to Walker's favorite homebrewing tool, my OG is 1.074, target OG was 1.076. Is this even possible with the amount of screw-ups I made? I'm probably just an idiot and can't read the damn hydrometer but I checked twice.

Tell me, young Jedi... has your hydrometer brought you peace of mind, or confusion and doubt?

Just smash the motherf*cker with hammer. Give in to your anger.... and turn to the darkside.

-walker

HurricaneFloyd said:

Are you sure it was a hydrometer and not an anal thermometer? ;)

the_bird said:
Speaking of which... isn't Luke really a ninja, and Han a pirate? Isn't that one of the movies' subtexts, the conflict between the ninja and the pirates?

Jedi were honorable, which would make him more like Samurai. Vadar and the Emperor would have been the Ninjas.

Either way, Han was a pirate and didn't get along with anyone.

Walker-san said:
Jedi were honorable, which would make him more like Samurai. Vadar and the Emperor would have been the Ninjas.

Either way, Han was a pirate and didn't get along with anyone.

Obgeek: Yes, all this was much clearer in Kurosawa's 1958 film, "The Hidden Fortress".

WTF? What happened to my thread? It's all about me, people!

And no, it wasn't an anal thermometer, you jackass! :D

If anybody were to get kicked off this site for threadjacking, it would be me. But what, you want us to focus on your f*cking up your brew?

Just kidding, I'm sure I'll be screwing my batch up (my first AG/mostly-AG) up real good this weekend.

Back