OG -SG Fermenting Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
I brewed my 3rd batch back on July 20th All extract "EDME" Wheat Beer.
My OG was 1.010 It is now the 18th Aug and on my transfer to secondary
My Sg was 1.015 and there was teeny bubble action in my hydrometer tube
It tasted good but any idea as to what is up? Could this be a 3 month batch. Thanks:mug:

OG stands for original gravity
SG stands for specific gravity(which can refer to the readingy at any point of fermentation)

FG is final gravity and probably what you should be referring to here OG - FG and your OG makes no sense as its higher than your gravity when transferring to the secondary. Possibly your OG reading was wrong?

Did you adjust for temperature when measuring with your hydrometer? Mine's calibrated for measuring at 59 degrees, so that can significantly throw off your measurements. - Anthony

If your OG was 1.010 then something is wrong, gravity doesn't increase as fermentation takes place it decreases. Now, having said that...

My last batch, after having aerated it with a drill mounted degassing wand, measured 1.050, and should have been about 1.056, I know it was well mixed, and I know for fact that my reading was wrong, regardless of what the hydro said, I may have been ~2 points off due to forgetting to correct for temperature, but there is still no way it would be off even 4 points. I use Beersmith, and this is the first time my OG has been so far off, I did use home made candi sugar for this brew which I would think still contributes the same amount of gravity points as candi sugar purchased at the HBS. So I have no idea what went wrong!

I think the Hydrometer gremlin had something to do with it!:D

Back