First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWess

Reaction score
I've searched but can only find stuff about cleaning kegs and gas etc.

After it is kegged I plan on doing a forced carb and have all the info I need for that and the Chris Knight stuff (kudos on that) gives me much info on cleaning etc.

What I am wondering about is how long in primary (bucket) then how long in secondary (carboy) and then to the keg.

I guess what I am looking for is the basic abc's of kegging. Thanks.

Primary and secondary as you normally would. Think of the keg as a single, big-*** bottle.

There is a section on Bottling/Kegging that has a Stickied post about Kegging FAQ's. There are a lot of links in there that will help you to learn more about the kegging process.

However, before that point, it looks as though you have some more questions about the fermentation process if you're asking how long the beer should be in the primary and in the secondary. Those answers are different based upon a lot of factors.

First things first, what are you brewing?

I have been searching for the answer for this same question. I have just built my kegerator and have my first beer (cream ale) ready to be kegged. I am going to work on a 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 1 week keg and leave at 12 psi schedule.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

ferment as normal. rather than priming and bottling, you are going into a keg.

let your co2 level/temp dictate what PSI you use.

if you set it at serving pressure, plan 2-3 weeks for better carbonation

if you want to drink it in a week... 30psi for 48 hours. bleed out pressure in keg, reconnect gas at serving pressure, wait 5 days.

There is a section on Bottling/Kegging that has a Stickied post about Kegging FAQ's. There are a lot of links in there that will help you to learn more about the kegging process.

However, before that point, it looks as though you have some more questions about the fermentation process if you're asking how long the beer should be in the primary and in the secondary. Those answers are different based upon a lot of factors.

First things first, what are you brewing?

I am brewing a Belgian, the recipe is from my local brew store guy.

My questions concerns the process before I rack to the keg.

I plan on fermenting a week in primary then I was wondering should I go two weeks in secondary in the carboy or can I just rack to the keg at this point? And if I do do I start the carbonation process now or wait 2 weeks to turn on the gas?

I am brewing a Belgian, the recipe is from my local brew store guy.

My questions concerns the process before I rack to the keg.

I plan on fermenting a week in primary then I was wondering should I go two weeks in secondary in the carboy or can I just rack to the keg at this point? And if I do do I start the carbonation process now or wait 2 weeks to turn on the gas?

If you're kegging instead of leaving the beer in the primary or secondary, that's fine, but you need to think of your keg as the secondary then. Leave it at room temperature for at least 2-3 weeks before you chill it, just like you normally would. You can either put it on gas, or not- it doesn't affect aging. But definitely leave it at room temperature until it's had a couple of weeks of agin.

If you are racking into a keg quickly you will have more sediment in the bottom of your keg. I would leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then rack to the keg.

Also if you can cold crash your beer that will help it clear up and carb quicker.

Latest posts

Back