Storing rhyzomes over the winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shag_from_Wa

Reaction score
So i've got a pretty decent setup going with 20' steel poles sunk into the ground and so far 8 plants on their second year, but i'm putting a large shop over the top of 1/2 of them and need to dig them up in the next couple weeks. Ideally i'd prefer to dig them up now and replant them in them in the spring when i have my yard sorted out. Is that possable? or should i pot them temperately or just buy new in the spring? I guess worst case i can throw them in a random spot in the yard

I know that the fridge would be no good since they would surely mold. If i pot them i'd assume i'd need to keep that from getting too cold, mabey on my enclosed back porch? it gets into the low teens here, but rarely in the single digits.

I would be most tempted to dig the crowns out, sack them each in burlap so they stay pretty much all together, and bury them in a trench dug for the purpose, out of the way of the construction.

In spring, dig a hole where you want the plant, and plug the whole crown in to the hole, rather than mucking about with having to start rhizomes.

As I see it you will end up with a far more vigorous plant than if you started from rhizomes, too.

If you can put the crowns directly to where they need to be, that would be better than any other method, IMO.

TeeJo

I have a similar but different situation...
I've been growing my hops for a few years. I am currently in the process of buying a new house and then selling the existing one. I'd like to dig the rhizomes up before the house is listed, but then likely wouldn't be able to plant them at the new place until spring..
Can I dig them up and store in a fridge/freezer until spring? Or how would I best go about this?

Thanks!

Back