something weird in carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIPBREW

Reaction score
I used a kit along with a lme and substituted Safale us-05 instead of the kit yeast, 1/2 the lme with about 4litres water, added Cascade 1oz at the start,1/2 oz at 30min and 1/2 at last 15 min.Drained the wort to remove as much hop sludge with cheesecloth.1 week in the fermenter, now in carboy.It seems like there is some yeast particles suspended at about a 1/2 inch below the surface.Also I never brought the hops up to a boil, I,m aware that Cascade is more of a finishing hop for aroma than for bitterness,is this suspension due to not boiling the hops, I know hops have to be boiled to realease there full potential.Tasted and the SG is @ 1.010, tastes good.Any
thoughts!

I have no idea what you are seeing. Pictures might help. But I don't understand, you say you added 1 oz Cascade at the start, 1/2 oz at 30 minutes and 1/2 oz. at 15 minutes but you did not boil them?? What was this timing about? This terminology usually refers to the time of the boil and when the hops are added during the boil. Without boiling some you will have very little bitterness and almost all aroma and hop flavor. This seems very strange.

Let me clarify,I heated up the wort but not quite to boiling , I was told I did not have to bring the hops to a vigorous boil,but you are right the bitterness is not so apparent but thre flavor and aroma are there.I looks like I have an oil slick on tio of my beer and the suspended particles are hovering just below this .

Back