Drawing of Twin-Element 120v E-Kettle Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
This is what I've come up with after reading for hours each day over the course of the last week. For my 5g. setup I am doing twin 1500w 120v elements in the BK and eventually the HLT will have a single element (since I can slowly heat sparge water over course of mash).

Any critique would be appreciated. Oh, the "male plug" is for the cords on the non-powered side.

e-kettle1.jpg

If possible, I'd suggest you move your GFCI one level up the chain. That would mean getting two GFCI outlets to replace whatever is in your wall, or getting two add-on GFCI dongles ($12.50 from Home Depot).

When the GFCI trips, you want electricity as far away from your brew area as possible. So it's better for it to trip and stop the current back at the wall, instead of in a box sitting in a puddle under your kettle somewhere.

That's what I originally had in mind, but someone had said "you don't have to go far to reset the GFI if it's closer." I will probably do what you suggested.

Are there "standard" 20A light switches that I can use for that part? I meant to look at Menards the other day but had so many other things I was getting that I didn't.

When people mention having the GFCI close by, they're usually talking about a wall mounted Spa Panel, not a box on the end of an extension cord. Wall mounting is less prone to puddles (although by no means puddle-proof).

As far as switches, I've seen these recommended (haven't used them myself). Since your upstream is 15a, you could also use the 15a version.

That is pretty much how I am setting mine up. I am using a box with the GFCI plugs very similar so that if I take it to someone else's home, I still have the protection.

edit: I am doing eBIAB and using PID control, but the concept of having the GFCI plugs is the same.

abarnett, thanks. I'll look into those. I was hoping to at least have the box hanging above and away from the kettle.

schmoe, This is going to be an eHLT and eBK both in one for now, but when I can I'm getting another element for the HLT. Probably won't go eMLT for now because I like my cooler setup with BIAB. I'm envisioning three tier gravity setup with single element HLT, cooler, and BK. I dunk sparge, so a pulley is about all I'd need to do 3-tier BIAB with some control. Not even sure if I'll need a PID yet. We'll see how it goes switching one element off after boil starts.

Back