What beer would you describe as the beer that 'awakened' you...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vote goes to Mr. Koch and Samuel Adams Boston Lager... I was pretty much an MGD/Corona guy before then. ...

Similar experience... was a Budweiser guy in the college days. Shortly after someone tossed me a Sam Adams Boston Lager and the rest was, as they say, history.

Although some beers have been more influential since then. For example, Cantillon's gueuze really opened up my eyes to how a lambic should be.

Red Hook ESB

In college, there was a small hippie bar a block from my apartment. They had decent food and live music every night. They did not sell ANY BMC beers. SWMBO (back when she was girlfriendWMBO) and I would go there after school some nights and play beer roulette to see if anything was good. Red Hook convinced me that there was life beyone keystone light.

When the brew pubs started opening up in the early-mid eighties, it changed everything. I started buying growlers because the beer was so much better than bottled beer. I don't remember many of the names except for Wynkoop's Rail Yard Ale and they had a crandberry ale during the holidays. It made all flavors of BMC undrinkable.

I didn't drink beer much at all in my teens but when I moved to Germany when I was 20 that was the turning point. I have a picture of myself drinking my first "real" beer in the Altstadt of Frankfurt am Main, the barmaid gave me the glass and I still have it to this day. It's a love affair that's still going on today :)

Sam Adams Boston Lager, then the winter pack from Sam Adams. Love the winter lager and old fezziweg! Holiday Porter is good too!

Guinness, Bass, and Harp. My Dad used to drink 'em in addition to the usual BMC suspects. I started trying other styles from that base and the rest is history.

Back