How much do temps affect yeast before pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey27

Reaction score
I am wondering how much of a negative effect room temperature has on yeast while it is still in the vial.
I ordered WLP530 from Northern Brewer because I could not find it at my local shop. Due to "bad weather" UPS took 10 days in transit to deliver it. (Hmmm, USPS delivered during EVERY single day of that so-called bad weather...:confused:) I ordered and was charged for two cold packs from NB to keep the yeast cool, but they failed to include ANY cold packs in my shipment.
So, I made a 3-liter starter following tried and true methods (1.040 OG, temps around 70 deg. F, serious shaking for aeration). Pitched in upper 60s F.
After three days there has been zero sign of life and no CO2 production. Checked gravity and it is unchanged.

Do you think that 10 days in shipping could really have harmed the yeast that badly? I would think that at least some of the cells would have survived!

I'd say wait a few more days and I'd bet your starter will start showing signs of activity in a few days. I've had starters with long lag times before so it's not uncommon. If you don't see any more activity from the starter in a few days, then it most likely was a bad batch of yeast before it was shipped. In that case, whoever you purchased it from will most likely replace it for you, that's the industry standard from what I've seen.

You're right! It finally started bubbling on the evening of the fourth day.

Back