Hoppiest commercial brew you have ever drank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
I'm a hop head, and a friend of mine asked me if I ever thought I would find a beer that was "too hoppy".... I laughed and said no, but now I'm curious to go out on the hunt for one.... So what's the hoppiest you have tasted?

Mikkeller 1000 IBU's pale ale. There are two versions of this beer, one good and one bad IMHO. The bad one tasted like grassy bitter vegetables. It was so bitter that I could still taste it in my mouth an hour later.

As for the hoppiest brew, I would probably say Pliny the Elder, Hopacalypse, Aroma Coma

Lagunitas Wldo's Special Ale was perhaps one of the hoppiest beers that I have ever tasted. With every other degree it warmed it the hop profile seemed to change completely.

Stone Enjoy By is also a crazy hoppy beer.

Hoppy is a poor descriptor.

Most bitter would prolly be Hopsickle or Ruinten

Gushing hop flavor would be Duet or Nelson

I drink and make a lot of hoppy beers. I think Fat Heads' Headhunter has a ton of hops flavor/aroma and that was the first one that comes to mind, and then Hoppin' Frog's Triple IPA was also very hops dominant.

The latest Enjoy By is by far the most hoppy aroma-wise beer I've ever tasted...Much stronger than Aroma Coma, Blind Pig or Pliny....Regarding the taste I would have to agree on RuinTEN I think...

From what I've had, the Alchemist's Heady Topper has the most hop flavor, while Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid is the most bitter.

For a "single" IPA, Port Brewing's Wipeout did a really good job of frying my taste buds.

I'm down with RuinTen for most bitter...at least in my experience. I like it, but feel like Enjoy By is a better beer.

Can anyone that has had both comment on RuinTen vs Ruination?

Also, who lives in California and wants to hook a brother up?

In my experience RuinTen has a harsher bitterness than Ruination. I like both a lot but RuinTen is a bit much for me for regular drinking, especially at 10.8% our whatever it is. IMO Ruination provides the perfect amount of abuse to the palate.

In my experience RuinTen has a harsher bitterness than Ruination. I like both a lot but RuinTen is a bit much for me for regular drinking, especially at 10.8% our whatever it is. IMO Ruination provides the perfect amount of abuse to the palate.

Agreed on all points. Ruination is at the edge. Ruin ten goes over it. I love both but have made better. :)

Ruination is at the edge.

That is what I love about it. I've had Pliny, HT, Gandhi-bot, Resin and a lot of other great IPAs but if I had easy access to Ruination and all of the above I think Ruination would be in the fridge all the time. I never get tired of that bitterness.

Still searching for a friend from Cal if orn i A who can spread the Hopocalypse/Aroma Coma/Hopsickle love

Elevation from Renegade was pretty well up there for me. Too much, in fact. I'm certainly a fan of hoppy beers, but this one just seemed to have too much of a good thing. It was reaching into the vegetal region, which is not something I dig.

Still searching for a friend from Cal if orn i A who can spread the Hopocalypse/Aroma Coma/Hopsickle love

Hopocalypse is definitely not the most hoppy beer. It was good but not great. I just had aroma coma yesterday which was really nice. Better than last year for sure

Have to agree that Ruination is about the best hop bomb I have had. I drank a bomber of RuinTen last night, was a bit more bitter and had more of a "distinct" aroma. My wife thought the cat had pissed somewhere. Enjoy by 9-13 was good and had great aroma but seemed a bit lacking in flavor.

Have to agree that Ruination is about the best hop bomb I have had. I drank a bomber of RuinTen last night, was a bit more bitter and had more of a "distinct" aroma. My wife thought the cat had pissed somewhere. Enjoy by 9-13 was good and had great aroma but seemed a bit lacking in flavor.

God I hope we can get some Enjoy By every now and then when Stone starts distribution in Alabama. I've had no complaints with the batches I've been able to get my hands on. I missed out on 8/2 and 9/13 (so far.)

Headytopper hands down. That beer is a 'mind altering experience'. (Its probally been mentioned back at the beginning)

Headytopper hands down. That beer is a 'mind altering experience'. (Its probally been mentioned back at the beginning)

I just finished an HT a few minutes ago. It was far from the 'most' anything except maybe the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had.

I'd say the prize goes to Sixpoint Resin. That stuff is just off the chart ridiculous.

BG

RuinTen, is Ruination x2. It's basically liquid hops, and I love that... However, I've never had Heady Topper and would like to see what all the hype's about.

RuinTen, is Ruination x2. It's basically liquid hops, and I love that... However, I've never had Heady Topper and would like to see what all the hype's about.

Well I'd have to say Beargrylls has it righr at "drinkable". That beer is also a huge hop bomb... just not in the early addittion sense. Most of their hops come late, or even post boil. Packed with hops, just not the kind that make your beer 100 IBU's and peel the enamel off your teeth. :)

Heady Topper is a great beer. Just going to the brewery and seeing people plunk down 75 bucks a case in droves is an experience in itself.

Mikkeller 1000 IBU is up there...and a little overpriced IMHO :hs:

Kuhnhenn brewery in Warren Michigan makes a killer double rice IPA.98 IBU but the hop content steals the show and makes any double IPA seem like swill.They have a production facility that will soon be up and running IN 2014 so cannot wait until you guys can try it out.I would drink this everyday if it was not so damn expensive and hard to make.

Latest posts

Back