In N Out Burger!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneogle89

Reaction score
Thought I'd bring up a thread about the best damn fast food restaurant in ever had! This is one of the big reason's I love California is because In N Out. I grew up on the double double with animal style fries. If you haven't had it, next time your in California, Arizona, Nevada and some parts of Texas, you need to try this deliciousness :rockin:

Ya it's like a cult down here in SoCal. Always a 10-15 minute wait at the drive thru, even at 12 in the morning! Totally worth it tho!

We've one by us now. It's okay. No better or worse than most fast food. Mooyah is more better. Rally's was the place though. Big Buford!

In n Out is the best. Haven't been to one since May '05...someplace outside of Stockton CA. Here in the East, there's a joint called Five Guys. It's not quite In n Out, but it's damn good!

OP must die for mentioning InO when I'm 276 mi. from the nearest one!

I would drive there now if I wasn't drunk.:rockin:

In n Out is the best. Haven't been to one since May '05...someplace outside of Stockton CA. Here in the East, there's a joint called Five Guys. It's not quite In n Out, but it's damn good!

Five Guys is spreading. I know they have them as far west as Idaho now. So they may well be in CA.

I think Five Guys did what In N Out explicitly didn't- grew too fast. All the new franchise ones popping up aren't bad, but aren't anything special. However, I'm walking distance from one of the first Five Guys to ever open (the chain started around here), and that place is really, really good. The difference between the original locations and the franchise ones is alarming.

So I can see why In N Out is doing things the way they are.

Aggggh! Five Guys is good too, but still 35 miles from me.

There's Five Guys all over Los Angeles now. Not as ubiquitous as In-n-Out, but I think there's probably 10 or so stores sprinkled throughout the LA area. I just had one of their cheeseburgers a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't finish the fries. I tried, but just ran out of steam.

We took the in-laws to In-n-Out last week. I had a #1 animal style but couldn't finish it--probably the first time ever--because I was coming down with a cold that destroyed my appetite for a couple of days.

Ya I have a Five Guys about 5 miles down the street from my house. It's good but nothing exceptional. I'm a fat a$$ so usually I ordered the 3X3 (which is 3 patties and 3 cheese) and animal style fries (which is fries covered in grilled onions, melted cheese and their house made thousand island). I'm craving it so much right now at work that I'm going to grab some on my way home :) even their milk shakes are awesome!

I know what I am having for dinner! Double Double Animal style no pickels and Animal fries!!! We have an In N Out and a 5 guys less than 5 min form the home brew store.......

Damn you OP now SWMBO is going to be pissed at me for forgoing dinner at home...Uhgggg....

But thanks!!!!

Cheers
Jay

I know what I am having for dinner! Double Double Animal style no pickels and Animal fries!!! We have an In N Out and a 5 guys less than 5 min form the home brew store.......

Damn you OP now SWMBO is going to be pissed at me for forgoing dinner at home...Uhgggg....

But thanks!!!!

Cheers
Jay

Hey man, Im just looking out for us homebrewers! And come on, what's better than a nice tall homebrew with some in n out?! HEAVEN!

Five Guys is spreading. I know they have them as far west as Idaho now. So they may well be in CA.

I think Five Guys did what In N Out explicitly didn't- grew too fast. All the new franchise ones popping up aren't bad, but aren't anything special. However, I'm walking distance from one of the first Five Guys to ever open (the chain started around here), and that place is really, really good. The difference between the original locations and the franchise ones is alarming.

So I can see why In N Out is doing things the way they are.

I've got two within 10 minutes from my house (opposite directions) in Vancouver, WA.

Fantastic!

In N Out is damn good as well. Now I'm hungry and stuck at work with no food.

I've got two within 10 minutes from my house (opposite directions) in Vancouver, WA.

Fantastic!

In N Out is damn good as well. Now I'm hungry and stuck at work with no food.

I feel ya! I'm at work till 10:30pm and I'm counting the minutes down till I can grab my food!

I've always really liked In N Out but I'm kind of liking Five Guys now.

If you really want an off the chart burger (and a great beer selection), you need to try Slaters 50/50. Burgers are half beef & half bacon. So many toppings and combinations. There is not another burger place like it. There's currently only 3 open in SoCal and a couple in progress.

I've always really liked In N Out but I'm kind of liking Five Guys now.

If you really want an off the chart burger (and a great beer selection), you need to try Slaters 50/50. Burgers are half beef & half bacon. So many toppings and combinations. There is not another burger place like it. There's currently only 3 open in SoCal and a couple in progress.

Heck ya I've been to the one in Huntington Beach and as well as Anaheim Hills. I always build mine with a 2/3 patty and put a fried egg in there, mushrooms and onion rings! And they have a ton of IPA's on tap which is a huge plus!

I have a Five Guys about five minutes from the house. It's a little greasier than I prefer but I really like all the options.

I've tried in and out a couple times. I don't get what the big deal is. It's like a really greasy small version of a big mac. It's a small hamburger rolled in grease with thousand island dressing. No thanks.

I feel ya! I'm at work till 10:30pm and I'm counting the minutes down till I can grab my food!

I'm here till 1am. Then it's straight home and into bed because I gotta be back up at 7 for class.

Maybe I'll go for lunch tomorrow.

I have a Five Guys about five minutes from the house. It's a little greasier than I prefer but I really like all the options.

I've tried in and out a couple times. I don't get what the big deal is. It's like a really greasy small version of a big mac. It's a small hamburger rolled in grease with thousand island dressing. No thanks.

Well if you think it's small you can always get it with 4 patties ;)

In N Out is great, but the fries are always way too dry.

Five Guys was closer when I lived in the Bay and there's one pretty close to me up here too, but as much as I like them, they're a lousy burger joint until they start selling milkshakes.

I know that I n O is good, but has anyone else ever experienced Tommy Burger?

I know that I n O is good, but has anyone else ever experienced Tommy Burger?

I've personally witnessed a few of my friends get food poisoning after making a late night Tommy Burger run around here. Thankfully I now live a mile away from In-N-Out and Five Guys. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything :D

Five Guys is outrageously priced.

I paid over $12 for a bacon cheeseburger plus small fries and drink. Embarrassing.

Agreed 100% I honestly don't go there very often with so many local restaurants and delis within a few miles.

So overrated! I mean it's good and all but the hype around In and Out is just stupid. Barely better than Sonic and Wendys. I prefer Five Guys

O'rly? Humor me.

Go to some fast food "authentic" mexican places. For about the same amount of money I can get a very similar amount of food at a local chain called "Muchos Gracias". About 50% of the food is grease. Worse food than 5 Guys. Same price, maybe slightly more depending on how much they feel like charging you, which seems to be directly correlated with the current employee's fluency in English and ability to comprehend what you are trying to say.

Go to some fast food "authentic" mexican places. For about the same amount of money I can get a very similar amount of food at a local chain called "Muchos Gracias". About 50% of the food is grease. Worse food than 5 Guys. Same price, maybe slightly more depending on how much they feel like charging you, which seems to be directly correlated with the current employee's fluency in English and ability to comprehend what you are trying to say.

This argument is completely irrelevant to fast food and burger joints.

How do you figure? I never said anything specific to burger joints, only to fast food. The place I am talking about (and places like it) is considered fast food, so therefore my argument is completely relevant. Unless you are saying mexican food cant be fast food. By that logic, I guess Taco Bell is no longer considered fast food. :rolleyes:

There is worse fast food you could buy for the same amount of money.

O'rly? Humor me.

My point in the statement was not necessarily the type of food, but rather the quality and price. Yes $12 is steep for what you get at Five Guys, but I would rather give them my money than other places.

To the dude who said their In N Out always has a 15 min wait - I am going there. Ours is typically 45 min. Slow as dirt.

jammin said:
Five Guys is outrageously priced.

I paid over $12 for a bacon cheeseburger plus small fries and drink. Embarrassing.

An odd world we live in where a made-to-order meal, including a huge, quality burger (including bacon, cheese, and a ****load of potential topping, a ton of hand-cut, peanut-oil-fried fries, and a refillable drink is considered "outrageous" at $12.

And it's a little dishonest too, given the portion sizes. I'm a 220lb guy and can't even finish the "regular" burger. In fact, the "little" burger (what they call their single patty burgers), ordered "all the way" minus mushrooms, and without bacon or cheese, never fails to get me very full. Often uncomfortably so, if I eat the whole thing. It's easily more filling than two Big Macs. And a "small" fries is enough for two or three people. Drinks aren't priced particularly high compared to the competition, but one can always get a 2L bottle of the same thing for a lot cheaper anyways.

So I get it with friends and family, and we each get *totally* stuffed with a "little burger", and a SPLIT order of small fries for every 2 to 3 people. I don't even know a single person who has ordered a "regular" burger (ie, the one with two patties) more than once. This more reasonable, though still very substantial, meal doesn't actually come out to anything resembling $12 per person. And even if it did, I don't know any other chain where I can eat burger(s) to the point of being THAT stuffed without spending more, unless I order pretty much exclusively from a dollar menu/value menu. When I take into account that their burgers and fries are better than almost any place (and certainly any major chain) that comes even close to offering that degree of value, it's a no-brainer, especially when the other options you're choosing from are ALSO large chain restaurants (I have no problem conceding that local joints can and sometimes DO offer a better "value"; that is, a superior combination of quantity, quality, and/or price).

So is a "burger and small fries" from there more expensive than a "burger and small fries" most fast food chains? Absolutely. But it's a misleading apples-to-oranges comparison, and it's not the kind of thing you should be eating on a regular basis regardless. If it's the kind of place someone wants to go to more than a few times a year, then they should *really* consider splitting a "little" burger and "small" fries with someone else anyways - it won't exactly break the bank, and not only will it STILL be more filling than a Big Mac or Whopper combo, but it will be far tastier (and even a little healthier) too.

This has nothing to do with the topic and I shouldn't post. I don't buy McDs food, except every morning get a sausage biscuit or mcmufin and large coke. Dollar menu, with tax $2.15. It's not good, just something to eat.

Dan said:
This has nothing to do with the topic and I shouldn't post. I don't buy McDs food, except every morning get a sausage biscuit or mcmufin and large coke. Dollar menu, with tax $2.15. It's not good, just something to eat.

Hah. My guilty pleasure is a "breakfast" of 2 or 3 sausage McGriddles and a Coke (or sometimes a latte or cappuccino since they've had them). Only a couple times a year though, IF that.

Back