Special Bitter Recipe Input Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewitnow

Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking for recipe input for a Special Bitter. After reading recipes from around the net, here's my initial take. I am shooting for low abv and good mouthfeel. I want a lower cabonated session beer like those found on tap in english pubs.

DC Republican Bitter

6.5 lbs. American 6-row Pale
1.0 lbs. Crystal Malt 40°L
1/4 lb. Torrified Wheat
1 lb Carapils
3/4oz. Challenger (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer

All-grain. Challenger for bittering 60 mins; Northern Brewer split for aroma and flavor (half @ 15 min, half at 1 min).

Single infusion batch sparge

OG = 1.040 Targeted FG = 1.009
Thanks!

Way too much Carapils in my opinion. If I recall, it's only recommended that Carapils make up only 1-2% of the grain bill. Replace most of that pils with more base malt and just mash at a higher temp, say 155. Mouthfeel galore.

Bobby_M said:
Way too much Carapils in my opinion. If I recall, it's only recommended that Carapils make up only 1-2% of the grain bill. Replace most of that pils with more base malt and just mash at a higher temp, say 155. Mouthfeel galore.

Also, a lower carbonation will make for a better mouthfeel in this type of beer.

Personally, I don't really care for Northern Brewer for a flavoring hop, except for some IPA recipes. It can be, in my opinion, pretty damn harsh. I'd be inclined to go a more tradional route and use either EKG or Fuggles (or split those two).

the_bird said:
Personally, I don't really care for Northern Brewer for a flavoring hop, except for some IPA recipes. It can be, in my opinion, pretty damn harsh. I'd be inclined to go a more tradional route and use either EKG or Fuggles (or split those two).

I was going to suggest the same thing. IMO, a bitter is just not a bitter without EKG.

I would also suggest using less carapils and maybe using a darker crystal. As for hops, I second the EKG recommendation (you could also use Fuggles), Northern Brewer is just too aggressive for the style.

oops, that should have been 0.5 # carapils. At any rate, based on you suggs, here's the revamped (I don't have a darker Crystal):

7.25 lbs. American 6-row Pale info
1.00 lbs. Crystal Malt 40°L info
0.25 lbs. English Wheat Malt info
0.20 lbs. Dextrine Malt info
0.75 oz. Challenger (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 1 min. info
This hits my targets all around. Cheers and thanks again all!

Also, if you can get it, I think an English 2-row malt will suit this beer better.

Buford said:
Personally I'd switch that American 6-row out with Maris Otter.

I'd second that... also the EKG. I think the 2 essentials to a British Bitter are Maris Otter and EKG (if you're trying to be somewhat authentic). Also, what kind of yeast are you using? That can make a big difference in flavors. I just tried a Bitter I brewed with WLP023 Burton Ale yeast and it tastes wonderful... lots of pleasant fruity flavors.

A few things:

Use Maris Otter and EKG as others have said. Dry Hopping can really do alot of good with a bitter. Also, I personally love to use biscuit malt in british brews. In my PacGem Special Bitter, I used half a pound of biscuit, and I wish I'd used more. Also, just to make sure you're getting an authentic style, be sure to drop in some Burton Water Salts...unless you've already analyzed your water and it's close to Burton-on-Trent's profile.

And definitely use a british yeast. I like Wyeast's London ESB, which lends fruity flavors to the brew and flocculates with crystal clarity in several days...in the PGSB, I used WLP005 because it's what I had on hand, and it worked very nicely.

I'd definitely replace the 6 row with Maris Otter, and probably cut the crystal in half (adding another 1/2 lb M.O.) For yeast, White Labs WLP 002, Wyeast 1968 (ESB) or safaleS-04 are all good.

I'd do a thick mash of 1 qt per lb, and a temperature of 155

-a.

brewitnow said:
oops, that should have been 0.5 # carapils. At any rate, based on you suggs, here's the revamped (I don't have a darker Crystal):

7.25 lbs. American 6-row Pale info
1.00 lbs. Crystal Malt 40°L info
0.25 lbs. English Wheat Malt info
0.20 lbs. Dextrine Malt info
0.75 oz. Challenger (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 1 min. info
This hits my targets all around. Cheers and thanks again all!
look's ok like this but you changed the torrified wheat to"english wheat malt" why? stick with torrified wheat and you will get a better head on your beer,more true to type in my experience.:mug:

Definitely use Maris Otter and dump the carapils. Maris Otter, Crystal and Challengers makes for a damn fine Bitter. Look for an OG around 1.038-41 and finish somewhat on the dry side and keep the carbonation on the low side as well. Try Wyeast 1275 or 1968.

Back