Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
Is Iodophor a ro-rinse deal? I've been rinsing, thinking it could kill yeast...but I guess the resisual amount of sanitizer would have a negligible effect. How do you guys do it? Let it dry? Dunk it in, shake it out, and use immediately?

Put it in, swish around and pour back into a jug or pan depending on what else I have to sanitize. Let Drip dry and use. I don't worry about the little bit left.

Does its potency last long? I've had a 5-gallon bucket sitting with it for weeks, and I dunk stuff in as needed. Also, (even though I won't be rinsing now, upon your advice) does rinsing with tap water introduce nasties? Probably not, what with the chlorine.

rightwingnut said:
Does its potency last long? I've had a 5-gallon bucket sitting with it for weeks, and I dunk stuff in as needed. Also, (even though I won't be rinsing now, upon your advice) does rinsing with tap water introduce nasties? Probably not, what with the chlorine.

Iodophor is no rinse. I do the same thing. Swirl it. Dump it out. Let it drip for a few seconds or minutes and then don't worry about the residual. It's pretty safe stuff in the proper concentrations. If you're backpacking, you can add iodine tablets to stream water to make it safe to drink.

You're getting away with rinsing because you have city water and I guess it's pretty much sterile with the chlorine and all, like you say.

In my experience, Iodophor does not last very long. I will use a batch for one day tops and usually mix two batches per brew day. It definitely loses its potency with long storage or exposure to sunlight or things like that. I have no scientific basis for that claim, but I have seen it get scuzzy after sitting around.

Back