Flat Beer. Can I add yeast to bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
I have a high gravity HopSlam clone I bottled a month ago. For the last week I have brought some upstairs to warmer temps and agitated the bottles. Flat out ...flat. I will give it a little more time but if it comes down to it, I suspect a lack of viable yeast at bottling time. Can I add yeast to the bottles and recap? Use a dropper for some kind of accuracy? Rehydrate a dry yeast like Safale 05?

If they've been down in the cool for a substantial lenght of time before they were above 70 degrees, then their growth was retarded for that length of time, so it doesn't count towards your "3 weeks @ 70 degrees" MINIMUM it usually takes If you've just brought them up for a week, more than likely you STILL need 2 or more weeks in the warmth NOT re-yeasting them.

The yeast in there is still viable, it just was sluggish/dormant, it just needs to wake up and be given enough time to do it's thing.

The yeast in there is still viable, it just was sluggish/dormant, it just needs to wake up and be given enough time to do it's thing.

Well than I will let it sit for another month at the warmer temps and enjoy my other brews for now. Thanks!

Rehydrate said yeast in water (or use liquid) in a sanitized container, get a children's medicine dropper with ML gradients like this,

medicine-dropper-310.jpg

Sanitize it, open beer bottle, suck up slurry into sanitized eyedropper, squirt 1-2 ml of yeast into bottle, then re-cap. Give the bottles a shake, and then walk away for another 2-3 weeks to give that yeast a chance to do the job.

So if I have 50 bottles and add 1ml each, I need 50ml which is about 1/4 cup. So I can rehydrate a package of dry yeast in 1/4 of water and I should be set? Plus sanitize everything and use boiled water.

So if I have 50 bottles and add 1ml each, I need 50ml which is about 1/4 cup. So I can rehydrate a package of dry yeast in 1/4 of water and I should be set? Plus sanitize everything and use boiled water.

I'd rehydrate in more water so you're not trying to suck up every last drop of liquid in a container.

Back