Wyeast 3711 is insane.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alrightmax

Reaction score
I know there've been a few threads about this guy before, but I used it for the first time last week and wow...
It brought a beer from 1.070 to 1.002 in one week flat!
...oh and I now know what yeast bite tastes like :(, the hyrdo sample tastes more like like liquor than beer. I figure it'll mellow out though.

I know there've been a few threads about this guy before, but I used it for the first time last week and wow...
It brought a beer from 1.070 to 1.002 in one week flat!
...oh and I now know what yeast bite tastes like :(, the hyrdo sample tastes more like like liquor than beer. I figure it'll mellow out though.

Don't count on the mellowing. I gave 10g of a belgian strong golden ale away because of the overt alcohol kick.

I'll be very careful with 3711 in the future. I made a fairly small saison with it that was nearly ruined because of the crazy attenuation.

How would this yeast do for bottle conditioning? Say my beer is 1.015 FG and I add my priming sugar, is it gonna drop my FG down to less than 1.015 and make it too dry?

At what temp did you ferment? Higher initial ferm temps can cause the fusal alcohol taste.

passedpawn said:
Don't count on the mellowing. I gave 10g of a belgian strong golden ale away because of the overt alcohol kick.

How long did you wait before you made that call? I have a Quad that's still pretty boozy, and its been 6 months in bottles now. I figure ill give it the rest of a year before I judge it.

How long did you wait before you made that call? I have a Quad that's still pretty boozy, and its been 6 months in bottles now. I figure ill give it the rest of a year before I judge it.

Probably about 6 months. IMO it got worse with time. I remember drinking 1 and it gave me a hangover. Next day I loaded every one of them up and gave them to a work friend. (he and his wife loved them :drunk:)

I've waited on a couple of other beers that have improved (RIS and barleywine), but they didn't suffer from fusels.

How would this yeast do for bottle conditioning? Say my beer is 1.015 FG and I add my priming sugar, is it gonna drop my FG down to less than 1.015 and make it too dry?

Yes and your bottles will explode. Plus this yeast causes a weird thing in the bottle. I get a very difficult to clean film that coats the inside of each bottle. It's real strange but a strong oxy clean and bottle brush removes the film.

What temp?

What temp?

I can't say I like this yeast, but I've used it a few times and fermented low to mid 70s in a swamp cooler and have not had any issues with fusels.

Yes and your bottles will explode. Plus this yeast causes a weird thing in the bottle. I get a very difficult to clean film that coats the inside of each bottle. It's real strange but a strong oxy clean and bottle brush removes the film.

Is it just this yeast? I get the same with several different yeasts.

I've been getting in the habit of filling each bottle (as they come empty) with a mild bleach solution (I keep some in a bucket all the time), and it cleans it right off.

It's something with the yeast strain. There are other stains that do it too I'm sure. My 3711 bottles all had them. Also the ECY03 strain does the same thing. I tried everything to clean the film, but a little scrubbing with strong oxyclean did the thing. I tried bleach, and even CLR which didn't get it to budge! I really wanted the bottles clean because they were the heavier belgian bottles.

I always start 3711 in the low 60s and let it come up to temp naturally and uncontrolled, I've done several big beers without an overly boozy taste or noticeable amount of fusels. I've also used this yeast to make a couple stouts and locked the temps in the mid 60s to mute the yeast contributed flavours.

I find this yeast very versatile, only time I had the film on my bottles was when I used PET bottles a while ago.

What temp?

What temp?

I can't say I like this yeast, but I've used it a few times and fermented low to mid 70s in a swamp cooler and have not had any issues with fusels.

I just checked my notes.

OG = 1.082
FG = 1.006
ABV = 10.2%

I kept it around 68 until it got to about 1.010, then brought it to room temps to make sure it finished. It was this Houblon Chouffe clone

It was 70° when fermentation started, but raised to just under 74° by tonight...
You think dropping the temp would help?

I always start 3711 in the low 60s and let it come up to temp naturally and uncontrolled, I've done several big beers without an overly boozy taste or noticeable amount of fusels. I've also used this yeast to make a couple stouts and locked the temps in the mid 60s to mute the yeast contributed flavours.

I find this yeast very versatile, only time I had the film on my bottles was when I used PET bottles a while ago.

+ 1. That is what I do also. I have used 3711 for 6 brews and they all turned out great.

I just pitched some more this morning on another Saison....... Love this yeast...

It was 70° when fermentation started, but raised to just under 74° by tonight...
You think dropping the temp would help?

It wot help anymore. Any hot alcohol flavors have already been formed. Dropping the temp now will only cause yeast to fall out of solution and possible keep them from cleaning the beer up and finishing it out.

Just bottled a batch that was 3724/3711 blend it it hit 1.000 after 5 months total. Og was 1.058. People complaining of boozy flavors and aromas might be underpitching and not controlling temps the way the yeast like. Only reason I say that is because Trinity Brewing uses it for almost all their saisons with some reaching 14% and I've never tasted a hint of booziness.

Back