Fun ways to make 2 beers (partigyle etc.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
Now that I have three kids at home, it is more important than ever to try to do a 10 gal batch each brew day.

Some of the cool things I have done over the years:

1. Standard partigyle, obviously with options to cap the mash to some degree for the 2nd runnings. This takes 2 BKs though, or a very delayed boil.

2. A few weeks ago, I did a mini-mash the day before brew day, It was 2lbs 2-row 8oz victory, 4oz Chocolate and 4oz Dark Crystal, I lightly hopped it and boiled for an hour and then let it chill. On brew-day, I did a standard 'best bitter' grist, to make a 1.044 Best Bitter. I did a target final volume of 9.5 gal. 5.5 gal went to one fermenter with Wyeast 1968, for a 1.044 best bitter. 4 gal plus the resulting strong wort from the mini-mash went into a 2nd fermenter with US-05 for a 1.054 American Brown Ale.

I have not done this yet, but I can get about 14 gal in my BK. I could fill it all of the way up with as high of gravity wort as I could mannage from my cooler (probably 1.055 pre-boil). Boil and hop for a pale ale as normal for 1hr, and then drain off 5 gal of no-chill brewing for a pale ale-ish beer. Then continue to boil the remaining wort (lets say it is 7.5 gal or so of 1.058, down to 5.5 gal of 1.078 of a strong beer. I am envisioning doing that with an Irish Red Ale and a Scotch Ale, or a ESB and a Old Ale.

Anyone else come up with fun or interesting ways to brew 2 different batches from one mash?

-Paul

Something I've been kicking around the last couple of weeks is brewing a 10 gallon batch on my 5 gallon system. My MLT is plenty big enough and my brew kettle will hold between 7.5 and 8 gallons, so I'm working on the numbers now to end up with about 6.5 gallons of wort post-boil and split it evenly into two fermenters and top off with water. Still deciding on a good style to try this with.

You could always make 10g of one beer and use different yeasts, a APA and a Belgian PA would be where I would start.

Ya, using 2 completely different yeasts and adding things post fermentation - dry hops, fruit, vanilla, liquor etc. you can make two completely different beers.

Latest posts

Back