You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When during historic flooding where loss of safe water is imminent, your first thought is to fill empty carboys buckets and kegs with drinking water.

Glad we did too...

When during historic flooding where loss of safe water is imminent, your first thought is to fill empty carboys buckets and kegs with drinking water.

Glad we did too...

Be sure to boil that water first. And you might as well strain it through some grain after it starts to warm up a bit. Oh yeah, while your boiling, throw a couple oz. of what ever hops you have kicking around to keep it from spoiling...... good thing you filled those carboys! :D

In all seriousness, I hope all is well for you and yours. I have been through a flood myself, and it can be really overwhelming. Best wishes and prayers sent to all affected.

:goat:

Be sure to boil that water first. And you might as well strain it through some grain after it starts to warm up a bit. Oh yeah, while your boiling, throw a couple oz. of what ever hops you have kicking around to keep it from spoiling...... good thing you filled those carboys! :D

In all seriousness, I hope all is well for you and yours. I have been through a flood myself, and it can be really overwhelming. Best wishes and prayers sent to all affected.

:goat:

Million dollar idea if I ever heard one :D

:off:

Thanks for the concern. We did way better than we had a right to. We certainly got our share of rain, but there was no major flooding in our area. The worst part for us was having no usable drinking water for a few days, which was easy enough to deal with anyway, but having 20+ gallons of drinking water set aside certainly helped.

Houses and businesses were underwater, roads and bridges washed away, dams failing left and right, estimated 300 million in crop damage (don't even want to think about property damage), 20 inches of rain in places, at least 17 deaths as of the last count...I definitely think it lived up to the "1000 year storm" prediction.

I realize this thread is for some light-hearted fun, but if anyone is able to contribute to the rebuilding efforts, monetarily or otherwise, I feel sure it would go to some good use.

http://www.redcross.org/local/sc/ways-to-donate

Now back to your regularly scheduled homebrewing debauchery ;)

We had a flood in this development a few years ago, due to some city engineering...oversights. They built a gas station & another development where they should've built a run-off lake. Good thing all these houses are built on little rises. It looked like the Florida Keys around here.

When you're working on the car while waiting for the beers in primary to be ready for the next step...

What kind of repairs take long enough for the beer in primary to be ready for the next step? Are you building a turbocharger on your vertical drill, or are you porting and polishing using a Dremel tool?

I've spent a few thousand replacing sensors, solenoid valves, sensor controlled valving, switches, you name it. All to pass e-check & get the darn thing to quit draining the battery. Not so easy in modern cars, with all the computer controls. Besides being 59 & bad back & hips. Losing stuff I need to find to finish a job. It's tough when you spend more time testing like some damned hacker, compared to an old school mechanic, as I was taught in auto-tech in the 70's. And to think I tested 5th or 6th in the state, out of 175,000 auto tech students..then.:drunk:

When you buy commercial beer based not just on taste, but on your evaluation of whether the bottles will be easy to de-label and re-cap.

When you have another one of those days in the same week when you're glad you're a homebrewer. JVS dropped my HW wrestler son off at the local highschool he's based out of, I didn't know, they call me to pick him up, battery won't charge. I'm callin' all over to see if friends know anything, car still won't start, he walks in at 6pm. I'm sending for some vodka to go with. Then tomorrow, the fun starts all over again with the ~!@!@$^^%%^$#$tuner...:drunk::confused::mad:

When you finally decide to sell your two 5 gallon and two six gallon glass carboys because you haven't used them for years and discover a third 6 gallon carboy tucked away in the corner of your cellar.

When you have another one of those days in the same week when you're glad you're a homebrewer. JVS dropped my HW wrestler son off at the local highschool he's based out of, I didn't know, they call me to pick him up, battery won't charge. I'm callin' all over to see if friends know anything, car still won't start, he walks in at 6pm. I'm sending for some vodka to go with. Then tomorrow, the fun starts all over again with the ~!@!@$^^%%^$#$tuner...:drunk::confused::mad:

I for the life of me cannot figure out what this has to being a home brewer.

Who really cares about your car problems on a brewing forum?
Let me send you a burner phone so you can calk someone that gives a Chit.

I for the life of me cannot figure out what this has to being a home brewer.

Who really cares about your car problems on a brewing forum?

Let me send you a burner phone so you can calk someone that gives a Chit.

I can't figure out how being a total Richard to one guy, all the time, every chance you get, makes you worth paying attention to.

I can't figure out how being a total Richard to one guy, all the time, every chance you get, makes you worth paying attention to.

The title of the thread is "you know you are a homebrewer when?"

So posts about working on a car are related to the title... How?

He has 35,000+ posts and 34,900 of them are off topic.

The title of the thread is "you know you are a homebrewer when?"

So posts about working on a car are related to the title... How?

He has 35,000+ posts and 34,900 of them are off topic.

He's also a nice guy. Not that that matters.

Oh wait it does.

And why would we care about your feelings on this?

What leads you to believe that your obstinate and rude comments are any more on topic than his car problems?

Just trying to get back on topic.

The point I am trying to make is post in the proper forum.

If I posted " I am constipated today" in the all grain and partial mash forum... Would that be appropriate?

How about if I posted " my dog pissed on the carpet" in the beginners brewing forum... does that work?

I am not knocking his posts, just put them in the proper forum.

Now to get back on topic...

When you see a garage sale you drive by looking for another carboy. You know you already have 6 that are full of sours and brett beers, but another one would be good.

( Damn you Oldsock)

Now to get back on topic...

When you see a garage sale you drive by looking for another carboy. You know you already have 6 that are full of sours and brett beers, but another one would be good.

( Damn you Oldsock)

Only six? I did a count the other day and found out I own 27 carboys. 7 are empty.

It makes it hard to get to the lhbs when the friggin thing gives me problems. Or to get out to the spring water place, etc. & 34,900 off topic? Get a grip. Seriously. Or at least stop hatin'. What'd I ever do to you?
When your hot pepper beer isn't as hot as eating the two ghost chilies you put in it.

when you crack yeast jokes that doesn't impress your S/O but makes your friends laugh.

when you have 3 different recipes for the same style of beer memorized, but can't remember your own birthday.

when you go on in great lengths about how a mash works at different temps and proper sugar saturation for maximizing hop utilization when ordering a Thick Burger in the Hardee's drive through.

When you have imaginary conversations in your head with some poor bastard that was foolish enough to ask you "So how do you brew beer at home?"

I've got it all planned, just you wait and see.

When you listen to a podcast talking about cool ship's with major breweries. All you can think is why not try using a claw foot bath tub for giggles and messing with the customers.

Back