Greenlee Knockout Punch to Lend - 1-1/4"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefkeith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as I finish with my build (a couple of days), I have a 1-1/4" Greenlee Knockout Punch that I'm willing to lend to reputable members of the forum as a way to give back for all the valuable information I've received here over the years.

I'll ship it to you, and you return it when you're done. If you included a couple homebrews when you ship it back, I wouldn't complain ;)

PM me with your information if you're interested.

Thanks again to everybody for all the great info!

This is a very cool thing of you to do. I'll likely (if I remember) contact you to get on this list when I get to that point in my control box. :mug:

So far, things have been going really well with lending my Greenlee. People on the forums seem to be very polite and responsible. Though I haven't had any problems, all I ask is that you know how to correctly use the tool and you somehow reimburse me for shipping.

Thanks!

Wow, that's a hellacious idea. For small stuff, that's really cool...flat rate is only $5.20....plus you'd get a "free" critique of your brew. What other kinda stuff can we do this with?

Just an update: I have a few people interested that have PM'd me, and I have added everyone to the list. I am slowly, but surely, working my way through the list.

I don't have much time to reply to everyone, just know that you're on the list. Right now, it's about 5 deep. I will pm you when you're up next to see if you still need the part. If you do, then just reply with your name and address, and I'll mail it out ASAP.

Thanks!

hey ChefKeith - just shot you a PM. This is an awesome and gracious idea. I hope this is still on and look forward to it.

Thanks!!

Just wanted to update with unfortunate news, the Greenlee is dead :( At some point in the future, I'll get another or a different hard to find item and lend it the same way. Sorry for not replying to all the pm's. I've been rather busy with work, and haven't had as much time to spend here.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Great idea! I'm sure a bunch of people appreciate your generosity. Sorry I missed out on it.

I started a thread some time ago, maybe a few months, about buying a Greenlee set in standard sizes, not conduit, and sharing it, just asking for a few bucks to borrow them since they're several hundred dollars and I only need them at this point for my brewery build and didn't get much of a response.

I started a thread some time ago, maybe a few months, about buying a Greenlee set in standard sizes, not conduit, and sharing it, just asking for a few bucks to borrow them since they're several hundred dollars and I only need them at this point for my brewery build and didn't get much of a response.

i have used a bi-metal hole saw for all of my keggles and have had no problems. slow and with oil is the key, and sometimes you have to clean the edges with a reamer, but its WAY cheaper that one of those greenlee punches

Try this site as they are pretty cheap. While getting one lent to you is cheaper, I can tell you from experience that these are waaaaaaaay easier to use than any saw or step bit.

It's a great investment. If you're like me you will need more holes as you build a brewery.

Try this site as they are pretty cheap. While getting one lent to you is cheaper, I can tell you from experience that these are waaaaaaaay easier to use than any saw or step bit.

It's a great investment. If you're like me you will need more holes as you build a brewery.

is that the radio chassis type or conduit? Unfortunately I am done with holes on my current set up... but hey... ya never know!

FYI I have done all 4 of my 1 1/4 inch holes with a HF step bit on megapots. Worked great.

Since I only need two 1.5" holes, it's hard to justify spending $90 plus shipping for a Greenlee Knockout. I'll see what's at Home Depot. I'm heading there now for an exchange.

The cheapest way to go, if you have a good drill, is the harbor freight step bit.

CidahMastah said:
The cheapest way to go, if you have a good drill, is the harbor freight step bit.

I grabbed a bi-metal hole saw kit at Home Depot today. It has what I need for my ferrules and receptacles.

Anyone happen to have a punch set for 1/16 DIN temperature controllers? Need to cut 4 holes for my temp controllers and timer in my Brutus panel and not looking forward to it, but I'm also not spending $400 on a punch!

jfrizzell said:
Anyone happen to have a punch set for 1/4 DIN temperature controllers? Need to cut 4 holes for my temp controllers and timer in my Brutus panel and not looking forward to it, but I'm also not spending $400 on a punch!

Dremel and a file?

I have a full set of Greenlee Knockout Punches - But they are for Conduit. The sizes they represent are very different than the actual size of the hole punched. Dramatically different.!! Be VERY careful in what you choose to do.!

Anyone happen to have a punch set for 1/4 DIN temperature controllers? Need to cut 4 holes for my temp controllers and timer in my Brutus panel and not looking forward to it, but I'm also not spending $400 on a punch!

I used a jigsaw. You're right, it's not fun, but it works.

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times: If you need a tool that you are only going to use once, RENT IT. There are rental shops everywhere.

P-J said:
I have a full set of Greenlee Knockout Punches - But they are for Conduit. The sizes they represent are very different than the actual size of the hole punched. Dramatically different.!! Be VERY careful in what you choose to do.!

That's what I have. They're perfect for the switches, but not the holes I need for outlets and tri clover ferrules.

Just out of curiosity...how long before a punch 'dies'? I see a 'vintage' greenlee on ebay for cheap, but wonder if it is dull as all heck.

Back