Request: Partial-mash IPA - medium hopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
I'd like to brew a semi-big IPA (SG 1.05-7ish) but not an imperial, somewhat heavily hopped but nothing insane (120 min), hopefully not a million different kinds of hops (my LHBS sells 2oz packages, I don't mind buying a few, but I don't want to buy 10 and use half of each).

Any recipes out there that fit the bill?

edit: I am planning on repitching onto the wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast cake from the Magic Hat #9 clone I am fermenting now...

Here's what I'll be doing this weekend...pitching onto a WL 001 cake from my primary. This is my first shot at an IPA-type beer, we'll see how it comes out.

Target OG 1.061
Target FG 1.013
Color 13 SRM
IBU 47

3 lbs. American 2-row info
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 60°L info
1 lbs. American Victory info
1 lbs. American Munich info
4 lbs. Dry Light Extract info
1 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 2 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) used as dry hop. info
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale info

Here is what I am thinking, I'm just going to make up a recipe

7-8lbs LME (as light as possible)
1 lb crystal malt (20L)
2 lbs 2-row malt

about 6-8oz of whatever high AA hops the shop has, pellets or whole hops, who cares, try to get some citrusy ones (Cascade, Amarillo, etc), I'll work out some sort of semi-continuous hop addition schedule.

Steep the grains at 150-160*F for 30 min in a small volume (1 gallon?), sparge them with another gallon or two of 170*F to get maximal sugars out of them which will give me a nice mouth-feel to the beer and some residual sweetness. Increase volume to ~6.5 gals for boil, add ~2 oz hops every 10-15 mins or so, strain and cool, aerate, ferment, and dry hop with another 2oz of whatever I have around (I have 1oz Tettnanger and 1/2oz high aa amarillo in the freezer.)

This should give me an OG of I get all the ingredients and start brewing I can plug it into a recipator and find out the specifics, should turn out good and I don't have to worry about the HBS not having the right ingredients since I don't have a "recipe".

Back