Need ideas for what's next.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just racked an extract IPA to primary and I want to throw another on the yeast cake in about a week. Yes Christmas brewing is OK.

I need a style suggestion given the season and the following IPA recipe used today.

Bandersnatch Sundevil IPA
14-B American IPA
Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 222.83 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.067 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 14.1 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.58% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 56.84 (40.0 - 60.0)
Ingredients:
1.0 lbs Carapils®/Carafoam®
0.75 lbs Crystal 45
0.5 lbs Munich Malt
0.5 lbs Vienna Malt
0.5 lbs Victory® Malt
7.5 lbs Pale Liquid
1 oz Target (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 ea WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

Any suggestions?

Bandersnatch was AZ's first brewpub and the first pub to get Guinness on tap back in the day. It closed in 2003, squeezed out by the university (ASU) and the city (Tempe).

I'd say somthing that isn't too light. If you just did an IPA, I'd be concerned with hop bitterness added to what you do next. I'd do something big either on the malt, hops or both. Plus it will be Christmas! :D I'd say do a Barleywine, Imperial IPA, Imperial Stout, or maybe a Strong Ale/Old Ale.

How about, oh... another IPA?

Sounds good to me!

I agree with BrewSmith; you just did big and bitter, so you can't really go back to something smaller. If you're ever going to do a barleywine, now's the time.

Robust porter would be nice, too.

I just sampled my smoked porter from the Brew Yankee Workshop two weeks ago. The two ounces of peat malt were perfect, at least so far. If you're looking for something a little bit different, a robust porter with a hint of smoke, either peat or rauchmalt, is something to consider. You can hop up a robust porter, as well.

Thanks guys. I'm going to start looking into Barleywine and fall back to IPA if I can't get one I like. I obviously am going to have get makings sooner than later!

Though the smoked porter sounds good, it ain't SWMBO friendly and I've already got a milk stout going.

I promised her a vienna lager down the road here, but that's anoither day.

I did my barleywine on tuesday. It shouldn't be much different than a normal brew of you are going to use extract. Mine was all grain, so that's a different story. ;) If you do use mostly extract don't add it all in the beginning. The gravity will kill your hop utilization. Treat it like a normal brew and add the rest of the extract at the end.

olllllo said:
Just racked an extract IPA to primary and I want to throw another on the yeast cake in about a week. Yes Christmas brewing is OK.

Hold on a second. Are you saying you can just leave the yeast cake in the bottom of the carboy for a week before putting a new batch of wort onto it? I thought you had to ASAP get new wort on the cake or all the yeast would die and give you awful flavors.

olllllo said:
Bandersnatch was AZ's first brewpub and the first pub to get Guinness on tap back in the day. It closed in 2003, squeezed out by the university (ASU) and the city (Tempe).
The JoeBob and his equipment are just itchin' to find a new home to brew again.

Wild

Hey, I just saw this thread, and thought I'd steal it for a second :D

I am also in-between batches, coming up on number three, and I was looking for some ideas. My buddies wanted to start actually making recipies, yet I still want to actually make beer that I would like :cross: .

I was hoping to take advantage of the temperature now and make a lager, hopefully on the lower end of the temperature scale, like a yeast that would work in the lower forties. I also wanted to attempt something like a Sam Adams Winter Lager, or something in that area. If anyone has attempted something like this, than can you please post a recipe for me, so that I at least have an area to get started with, and tell my friends that we have to be in so and so range to still obtain the taste I want? Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers :mug:
- Matt

My IPA was a slow finisher, so my Christmas Day Brew Date is pushed back to Friday.

Here is the recipe I 'm going with which is essentially Cheyco's (Bale) via David_42 (Bog) via?

I subbed out some DME for the 2-row and added more brown Sugar because I'm all extract like that.

Extract
19-C American Barleywine

Kettle Volume: 2.5 gal
Volume Added: 3 gal
Size: 5.21 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 374.78 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.111 (1.080 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.028 (1.016 - 1.030)
Color: 17.3 (10.0 - 19.0)
Alcohol: 11.11% (8.0% - 12.0%)