Founders Red's Rye Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaqhugh

Reaction score
I really like this red rye ipa i had the other day and wanted to clone it, but I am only doing partial mash's at the moment... so i was wondering how i could convert this recipe? any suggestions would be appreciated.

so far this seems to be the most popular recipe to use for cloning it.

(Founders Red's Rye Clone

5 gallons

OG=1.064
FG=1.016
ABV=6.4%
IBU=62
SRM=13

9 lb Maris Otter
3 lb Rye Malt
1 lb CaraMunich
0.5 lb Crystal 40
0.5 lb Crystal 20
3 oz Special B
1.25 oz Amarillo (8% AA, FWH)
1.5 oz Amarillo (8% AA, 60)
1 oz Amarillo (8% AA, 5)
1 oz Amarillo (8% AA, Dry)
Nottingham ale yeast

No mash temp or other details were specified.... I'm guessing around 153 F would be fine, plus or minus a couple of degrees, ferment at 65 F for a couple of weeks, rack and dry hop. Something like that.) http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49137

if you haven't tried this beer... you should. because isn't that what its all about?

well it all depends on how much you can mash and you're actual efficiency, but basically the same recipe but split the MO into 3# light DME and 3.5# MO

I just returned from the Summer Craft Beer Fest. in Ypsi. Michigan. Red Rye was by far the best beer there, outstanding. While there, I was able to talk to the brewer responsible for the receipt: here is what I remember and I hope it helps in improving or getting the clone closer to the real deal.

30 % of the grain is rye (wow that is high)
15% from wheat, and the rest of the grain is 2-row malt.

I'm not certain about the hops, but I remember the first addition of hops was in the 44IBU, the second he said around 23, and then the aroma hops he hads just after killing the boil. I did not get the specifics on the what type of hops
...Anyone have any ideas? I would imagine it's dry hopped because the aroma is a slam dunk.
This was late in the day, but I think he said he MO at 150, and he does a rest.
Later this week I want to try and brew this beer!!!!!!!!!

I just returned from the Summer Craft Beer Fest. in Ypsi. Michigan. Red Rye was by far the best beer there, outstanding. While there, I was able to talk to the brewer responsible for the receipt: here is what I remember and I hope it helps in improving or getting the clone closer to the real deal.

30 % of the grain is rye (wow that is high)
15% from wheat, and the rest of the grain is 2-row malt.

I'm not certain about the hops, but I remember the first addition of hops was in the 44IBU, the second he said around 23, and then the aroma hops he hads just after killing the boil. I did not get the specifics on the what type of hops
...Anyone have any ideas? I would imagine it's dry hopped because the aroma is a slam dunk.
This was late in the day, but I think he said he MO at 150, and he does a rest.
Later this week I want to try and brew this beer!!!!!!!!!

This is interesting (and possibly intentionally false?), because their own website description talks about "four varieties of imported belgian caramel malts." They do claim a "generous addition of rye malt". no mention of wheat.

Oh, and the hops definitely include amarillo. They claim that on their website. I have seen several references that mention that it is ALL amarillo, but they only directly state that amarillo is used for dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back