Naturally Carbing a Keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
Im getting close to racking into my first keg :rockin: and I'm thinking on going the natural carbing route for this batch, as I currently have a commercial brew on tap and my kegerator is still equipped with a sanke connector...

Since I wont be able to hit the keg with C02, is it possible to rack into the keg with priming sugar, seal the keg, maybe burp it for a couple of days to purge air then just let it sit until I'm ready for it?

Assuming the above is correct, are the sugar amounts for carbing in a keg the same as bottle carbing? I usually use about 4oz of priming sugar for my 5gal batches...

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with it. You can also use the famed crank and shake method. Hit the keg with 30 psi or so of co2, shake the hell out of it, and let it set. Test. Maybe repeat. Then drink your commercial beer, pass out, and hook up the home brew. When you wake up, drink a perfectly carbed home brew. Takes practice but if you have a bit of head space you can always vent if you go too much.

Kegged my first keg with CO2 and don't have the double regulator and another one ready to keg so I'm gonna go the natural route for the first time in a keg as well. I appreciate the info on cutting the priming sugar back as I was going to just use the normal amount. Cheers.

Back